• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible auto defect???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RichardV

I am in Columbia, South Carolina. On saturday, 10/28/00, I was driving down the road a few miles from home for about 5 minutes. All of a sudden, the back window of my '97 GMC Jimmy shattered. I thought I'd been shot at or someone threw something at the car. I pulled over to look at it. It appeared that the "hydraulic rods", that lift the window when the release hatch is opened, acted as if the window had been opened and extended. With the latch not actually being released, this put too much strain on the back window and shattered, causing the class to go all in the car. The frame of the back window is all mangled. Someone told me that they've heard of this happening if glass is exposed to sudden increases or decreases in temperature. The only thing I did was get my car out of the garage and drive 3 miles. Does this sound like a factory defect that should be covered by GMC?? I'm thinking they'll tell me they won't repair this as a defect. I don't feel I should have to pay anything, such as deductible, since this was not a result of anything I did. I have my wife and 2 friends as witnesses as they were passengers in the Jimmy. Thank you for any help.

B

ben

Dick; I'm an auto mechanic. I saw your post and I can tell you that glass can break any time it wants to. The pistons had nothing to do with it. they just extended when the weight of the glass "disapered" cause it broke.Sometimes you can throw a brick at them and nothing happens ;and other times I take a piece of glass out of a car ;place it on a pillow; walk away and BAM! it brakes.
I sell those windows for 50$( used) and I think its easier to just get another one.

Send me an e-mail if you need more info Ben

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">