• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible SCAM - CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

budstein

Insurance and Police Dept state that I was possibly involved in a scam. I did not see the pedestrian crossing in a crosswalk. The pedestrian did not have any injuries (I was at a stoplight making a left turn on a one way street) I was going less than 10mph. (I received a few scratches on the hood of my car). The pedistrian refused to let me call the police or ambulance. A 3rd party then drove up and insisted that he would take the pedestrian to a hospital to get checked out. He then drove off with the pedestrian as I stay parked on the side of the street in shock over the accident that had just occurred. I then called the police and reported the accident. I also called my auto insurance co. that evening. 1.5 days later, I am notified by the pedestrian's attorney. My auto insurance has contacted me and is in process of the claim and any communications with the pedestrian's attorney. Do I need to get other outside counsel?

racer72

Tell your insurance company that the police believe you were part of a scam. Most insurance companies have investigators to check out fraudulent claims. I would make a bet that the third person drove up just as the "pedestrian" had all the infomation he needed. And the doctor and attorney are probably involved too. There was a small epidemic of the same thing being pulled by a group of immigrants in the Seattle area a few years ago. Staging minor accidents then claiming outrageous medical claims, and all the injuries were listed as soft tissue injury. It is your insurance company's responsibility to provide any legal counsel if any is required in this case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">