• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possibly being sued.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1960tbird

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Back in March of this year, my 19 year old son was in an auto accident in Massachusetts and he was at fault. The other driver was injured, I’m not sure how seriously but I believe it was a broken ankle. My son, being a college student was on my policy at the time. I just received a letter from my insurance company stating that they cannot come to an agreement with the other driver’s lawyer on a settlement. They will only pay up to $20,000 according to the policy. The letter also said that they may sue me for more and if that happens, they will provide me with a lawyer. Since it was my son and not me responsible for the accident, how much trouble can I be in? What can they do as far as coming after me? Thanks.

teflon_jones

They can come after you as the owner of the vehicle for any amount above your 20k coverage limit, and you'll need to get your own private representation for anything above this amount. However, you're jumping the gun here. Come back here if you're actually sued with the facts of the case so that someone can provide an accurate answer. Right now all anyone can do is guess.

mike_lee

those letters seem pretty standard and I wouldn't put too much weight in it yet. My daughter was a disaster, five accidents 2 lawsuits, each time we got a letter from Allstate with the same explanation as your letter. Nothing ever came of them.. My son has only had one accident a two mile per hour bump at a stop light which while doing no damage to the flimsy Japanese car caused untold suffering to the other driver.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
those letters seem pretty standard and I wouldn't put too much weight in it yet. My daughter was a disaster, five accidents 2 lawsuits, each time we got a letter from Allstate with the same explanation as your letter. Nothing ever came of them.. My son has only had one accident a two mile per hour bump at a stop light which while doing no damage to the flimsy Japanese car caused untold suffering to the other driver.
Mike -

Your postings are misleading and dangerous. Your personal anecdotes have no bearing on what our OP is experiencing.

1960tbird

Thanks for the replies. Teflon_jones, I will post more info if and when it comes. I just can't see how someone can come after me personaly when I didn't do anything. Granted, he was on my policy but what did I do that was negligent?

mike_lee

Mike -

Your postings are misleading and dangerous. Your personal anecdotes have no bearing on what our OP is experiencing.

I see your point however I clearly stated my personal experience was EXACTLY like hers. My teenager got in a wreck someone was injured and I got the same letter. This happened to me twice. In both cases I never heard anything more about the letter. That does have some value and was worth sharing.

mike_lee

Mike -

I see your point however I clearly stated my personal experience was EXACTLY like hers. My teenager got in a wreck someone was injured and I got the same letter. This happened to me twice. In both cases I never heard anything more about the letter. That does have some value and was worth sharing.

ecmst12

Both the OWNER and the DRIVER of a vehicle can be held liable in the case of an accident. Your name is on the title, therefore you are a valid target in a lawsuit. Now, if you are sued, a judge may find that you are NOT liable for this particular accident. But you can still be sued.

justaninsured

The previous posters are correct in stating that you can be sued but whether or not you can found liable is another question. Unless you're found negligent in some manner ( for example, your son has a history of reckless driving or the car is mechanically unsound in some way and you let him drive the car), in most states I'm aware of, your son would be the only one liable. Allowing an non-minor child with a good driving record who is named on the policy to drive a car you own should not qualify as negligence. If this is keeping you up at night, you should probably consult an attorney or review the Massachusetts insurance statutes involved to confirm or deny this.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">