• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pot hole on Illinois road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blueboy01

I recently hit a substantially deep depression (pot hole) while driving an Illinois state road. The impact caused my tire to blow and wheel/rim to become bent. I will have to buy a new tire and rim probably costing $300 or so. I was wondering what the laws are regarding this matter? Can I seek compensation from the state road commission? I have heard that in some states, if a commission is aware of the problem and they repair the hole within 30 days, then they are not liable for damages.

racer72

You need to file a claim with the government road department that has jurisdiction over the roadway. It is their responsibility to maintain the road in a safe condition. My brother works for a state road crew (not Illinois) and he gets called out to repair potholes at all hours of the day and night. If the claim is denied due to state law your comprehensive insurance will cover the wheel and tire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">