• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-lawsuit, what asset protection options do I have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ashe

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I was involved in a collision in front of my apartment last week. It was raining, I was making a left turn into my driveway. There was a driver coming in the opposite direction, without his lights on, and, in my opinion, going faster than the speed limit, and definitely too fast for the conditions. Even though I looked up the road before starting my turn, I didn't see him, either due to the rain, or the fact that he had his lights off (his car was a dark color, and blended into the wet pavement, and other cars parked on the side of the street). I hit my breaks, but it was wet and I couldn't pull out of the turn in time. The cars struck on the driver's side corners. Fault is being laid entirely on my doorstep at this point, despite my protests that there are other factors in play.

Today I've been informed by my insurance company that the personal injury damages being claimed may exceed my policy limit.

A close personal friend of our family is a lawyer in Massachussetts, and we're asking her for a recommendation on a lawyer to contact here in Connecticut. I hope to be doing that tomorrow, and will be speaking with a laywer regarding all final matters.

However it's after business hours right now, and I'm sitting here feeling sick to my stomach at the thought that I could lose everything I have. I don't own a home, or stocks or any large assets. I do however run a small business, a sole proprietorship, and the business has a small bank account in its name with business funds in it. I also have a small personal savings.

Basically, to set my mind at ease until I can talk to a lawyer, I was hoping to find out some preliminary information about my situation.

While I know that full asset protection is now out of the question, as no actual suit has been filed yet, is there ANYTHING that could be done to protect my business assets? If I converted to an LLC right now, would that be considered fraud?

If they sue me, and it's more than I can afford to pay, what then? Am I out on the street? Do I give them all I have and then declare bankruptcy? Or do they do a payment plan, where I just pay things off over time? Can he take just the money in my business, or can he take (own) my business as well (the business itself is not worth anything to anyone but me. I'm an artist, and without me, the business is nothing).

If this goes to court, do I have a leg to stand on arguing for the weather conditions as a contributing factor to the accident, or am I just out of luck? I have pictures of the scene, including showing the 15-20ft that my very large Jeep Grand Cherokee was pushed and spun by the other driver's little Honda. In my opinion, an indication of how fast he would have had to have been going, as I was virtually at a dead stop, with my brakes on. Are these things I can argue to try and limit my liability and limit the claims to medical expenses?

Last edited:

alnorth

While I know that full asset protection is now out of the question, as no actual suit has been filed yet, is there ANYTHING that could be done to protect my business assets? If I converted to an LLC right now, would that be considered fraud?
Lets pretend for a moment that this is not fraud. An LLC does not protect you from damage that you are personally responsible for. If you have a company and an employee screwed up, the LLC would protect your personal assets, but if you are personally responsible for damage, an LLC is useless.

How much insurance do you have, and how much in damages are we talking about?

To those observers with small liability limits who think that people never sue for more than the policy limit, as the OP is perhaps figuring out, that simply isnt true. I see a lot of claims where the insurance company I work for tosses in the policy after a lost judgement, leaving the policyholder on the hook for the rest. I'm only a couple years out of school with a pile of debt so I have nothing worth going after, but I still have 300k auto, and 1 million umbrella to protect my future earnings and credit.

Last edited:

Ashe

So as long as I own the business, sole proprietorship or LLC, if I'm sued personally, my business is in jeopardy?

I have $20k/$40k personal injury. One of the passengers, a young girl, was injured in the accident when she struck her face, apparently on the back of the driver's side seat. The insurance company informed me that in addition to the hospital bills, they are talking to a plastic surgeon now.

alnorth

Your in trouble. Juries do not like it when little girls need plastic surgery. Your insurance company will provide a lawyer, and you need to talk to him ASAP.

So as long as I own the business, sole proprietorship or LLC, if I'm sued personally, my business is in jeopardy?
Yeah, when you personally cause damage, they will not sue the LLC, they sue you personally. However, what is your company really, in hard assets? If your an artist, does that basically mean you lose a few paintings, but can just as easily create more art to sell?

moburkes

I have $20k/$40k personal injury. One of the passengers, a young girl, was injured in the accident when she struck her face, apparently on the back of the driver's side seat. The insurance company informed me that in addition to the hospital bills, they are talking to a plastic surgeon now.
The good news is that your insurance company will defend you up to the limits of your policy. The other good news is that, in CT, the other party's damages are reduced (but none gone completely) by the degree of fault for that party. What this means is if they are determined to be 40% responsible, the total damages are reduced by 40%.

Ashe

Yeah, the business has nothing really in hard assets. Some money, a computer. But am I at risk of them taking the business itself?

I haven't been sued, I only expect that it's possible (likely). Is there ANYTHING that can be done to protect ANY of my assets, before any lawsuit is filed?

The good news is that your insurance company will defend you up to the limits of your policy. The other good news is that, in CT, the other party's damages are reduced (but none gone completely) by the degree of fault for that party. What this means is if they are determined to be 40% responsible, the total damages are reduced by 40%.
But what are my chances of that? It was raining, there are no skidmarks. It's essentially my word against his, aside from the issue of how far my vehicle was pushed away from the point where I started the turn. Is the defendant screwed in this sort of situation?

Last edited:

alnorth

Yeah, the business has nothing really in hard assets. Some money, a computer. But am I at risk of them taking the business itself?

I haven't been sued, I only expect that it's possible (likely). Is there ANYTHING that can be done to protect ANY of my assets, before any lawsuit is filed?
If "some money" means not much, then there's nothing to take other than future earnings. You dont own the building, right?

Ashe

I work out of my rented apartment.

"Some money" is approximately $40k between my business and personal holdings.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Does CT have a "wipers on, lights on" law? There's a law for that in NJ, not in PA though. That would definitely put a portion of the fault on the other driver. The fact that he may have been speeding (unprovable) or that it was raining (can't sue God) won't help, but the lights being off might. The majority of the fault will still be yours, but it might help you some.

Was the little girl in the back seat wearing the proper restraints for her age (booster seat or seat belt)? If she should have been in a booster and wasn't, that might reduce your fault for her injuries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">