• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant Wife Rear Ended-> ROUGH settlement range?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yourilk

What is the name of your state? Washington

I'm trying to get opinions of a good settlement range from y'all. Can you help?

Synopsis followed by two questions follow:

While stopped to make a left turn, my wife was rear ended by a large pickup. Driver and insurance admit fault. My wife's vehicle (BMW 325) was totalled after I 'encouraged' the insurance company to totall it. Settlement for the vehicle only came to around $27,000. 3rd party insurance is National Merit.

My wife was 8 months pregnant at the time of the accident. After police arrived at the scene she was taken by ambulance to the hospital. She was immediately admitted to labor and delivery with contractions. She was placed on a fetal contraction and heart rate monitor. She was given numerous tests including many blood tests, ultrasounds, AMNIOCENTESIS, and a contraction stress test. Her back was extremely sore as a result of the accident. The doctors said she had a small placental abruption. There was a good possibility that they would have to deliver the baby premature. After two days (three day hospital stay) she was released. For weeks afterward she had a lot of anxiety while in vehicles.

We had spend nearly two years and over $7500 to get pregnant in the first place. My wife had just been released with a clean bill of health from 10 weeks of bed rest 3 days prior to the accident. Needless to say the possible loss or premature delivery of our baby was very traumatic.

My wife is now healthy as is our baby, 4 months after the accident. There are about $15,000 worth of associated bills. Our PIP has paid out $10K with the rest being sent to our medical insurance. The 3rd party insurance hasn't offered a settlement yet, they are still aquiring medical records. I sent them records from the date of the accident to the day before the delivery of our baby.

Question #1: Can I get opinions as to a good settlement range?

Question #2: Am I entitled to be reimbrused for MY loss of wages for caring for my wife after the accident? I took off 5-7 days from work. My wife has no loss of wages (she was a teacher and we had planned on her staying home for a year).

Thanks!

Answer?

Hi,

I'm very glad to hear your wife and child are doing fine. You indicated of the $15K in med bills that $10K was paid by the other driver's insurance and you submitted the other $5K to insurance? What insurance was it submitted to? Your auto or health?

As far as what settlement range to ask for, I don't know. I've heard that 3x the med bills is what is typically requested for pain/suffering. From what I understand though, you cannot add your time off work to that, as it is not legally required for you to have taken time off work (but, IMO, it makes you one heck of a good hubby!).

Do you have an attorney? Even though they may charge up to 40% of any award plus attorney fees, it may be a good idea to consult with one to at least get answers and an idea of how to proceed.

Best wishes and congrats!

seniorjudge

Question #2: Am I entitled to be reimbrused for MY loss of wages for caring for my wife after the accident? I took off 5-7 days from work. My wife has no loss of wages (she was a teacher and we had planned on her staying home for a year).

A: Google washington state personal injury loss consortium

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">