• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hi
I live in NC, my husband had an accident in september where he rear ended a guy who was gong through a yellow ligh...he sped up to make the light then saw a cop car across the street and slammed on the brakes and my husband slid into him (it was raining)...they were only going about 10 mph. Any way the guy went to the hospital (tho there wasn't even enough impact to harm a fly) I think he is claiming whiplash or something. Anyway...when we had the court date for the accident the guy he hit wasn't there but we were ordered to pay him $800.00 because the court couldn't determine wether the insurance had paid it or not...however the judge told my husband that if he could prove that our insurance company paid this guy at least 800 dollars we wouldn't have to pay it.
So I called the insurance company and told them this and they sent me a letter that simply says we are insured by them and if there have been any claims they are working on them. This is not good enough for the judge to release us from the debt. I called the insurance company again and told them we need a letter that states how much was actually paid on the claim and they said they can't tell me that information because it violates the other guys privacy. I don't see how telling us how much they paid out on a claim on OUR insurance policy violates anyones privacy rights and without proof from the insurance company we will have to pay this. I know everyone will say to switch insurance companies and I probably will when the policy runs out if they don't straighten this out but in the mean time that doen't get me what I need. We pay insurance for this reason and shouldn't have to pay this 800 so does anyone know what we can do to get the proof we need from our insurance company? It is Geico by the way if that matters.

C

cissie10

pixeltwistr said:
Hi
I live in NC, my husband had an accident in september where he rear ended a guy who was gong through a yellow ligh...he sped up to make the light then saw a cop car across the street and slammed on the brakes and my husband slid into him (it was raining)...they were only going about 10 mph. Any way the guy went to the hospital (tho there wasn't even enough impact to harm a fly) I think he is claiming whiplash or something. Anyway...when we had the court date for the accident the guy he hit wasn't there but we were ordered to pay him $800.00 because the court couldn't determine wether the insurance had paid it or not...however the judge told my husband that if he could prove that our insurance company paid this guy at least 800 dollars we wouldn't have to pay it.
So I called the insurance company and told them this and they sent me a letter that simply says we are insured by them and if there have been any claims they are working on them. This is not good enough for the judge to release us from the debt. I called the insurance company again and told them we need a letter that states how much was actually paid on the claim and they said they can't tell me that information because it violates the other guys privacy. I don't see how telling us how much they paid out on a claim on OUR insurance policy violates anyones privacy rights and without proof from the insurance company we will have to pay this. I know everyone will say to switch insurance companies and I probably will when the policy runs out if they don't straighten this out but in the mean time that doen't get me what I need. We pay insurance for this reason and shouldn't have to pay this 800 so does anyone know what we can do to get the proof we need from our insurance company? It is Geico by the way if that matters.
If your husband rear-ended him he was following to close behind him and it is your husbands fault.period.

MandyD

cissie10 said:
If your husband rear-ended him he was following to close behind him and it is your husbands fault.period.
Whether or not her husband is liable isn't the issue in this post. She already realizes that.

OP, I can't tell you why your insurance company won't give you that information. Hopefully someone else will have an idea for you.

weenor

cissycicle said:
Pixeltwistr, when your husband rear ended the other guy, was he using proctection? His seatbelt that is!

Kelly what the hell does that have to with the judge ordering payment of the money?

Just Blue

cissycicle said:
Ah, yeah. I am not Kelly, however, I am guessing you shot from the hip on your response. Pay very close attention, weinor. Ciccysicle is not Cissy10. Cissycicle is not Kelly. Got it?

Cut her some slack hon...I almost did the same thing...You may want to ask Mary to change your name....How's that pervert dog of yours?...Still behind bars I hope!;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">