• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Property accident HELP If you know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sawgood

State of California ...

Hi, I hit a parked car while backing out of my slot on a private property lot.
I know for sure that there was NO INJURY, and in my opinion there is LESS then $750 dollars in damage. So, I know for SURE that I do not have fill out and submit the DMV SR1.

What I want to know, and I can't seem to get a correct answer about. I've called a few police department, the CHP, the DMV, private insurance companies ... Here is my question:

"When involved in an auto accident on PRIVATE PROPERTY, does the driver of the vehicle have to show proof of liability insurance"?

Now, please don't tell me ANYTHING about the SR1 DMV form. I seem to get that a lot with replies. My question has NOTHING to do with a DMV SR1 form.

Now, if you know the answer to this question, PLEASE tell me where in the 'law books' your reply is BACKED UP by.

Mostly, I get replies that are 'shooting from the hip' basing their answer off the fact that EVERYONE already knows you have to provide proof of liablity insurance on the public roadway ...

Now, as we all know, most all LAWS on the books apply to the public right of way and NOT private property ... (vehicle laws I am talking about) ...
When a vehicle code is 'enforceable' on private property, it is generally ALWAYS noted in the law somewhere or somehow to make sure that we all know it 'counts' on private property. So far, I cannot find such a law for having to provide proof of liablity insurance for an accident that occured on private property.

Thanks in advance!

shortbus

California Vehicle Code sec 16020. (a) Every driver and every owner of a motor vehicle shall at all times be able to establish financial responsibility pursuant to Section 16021, and shall at all times carry in the vehicle evidence of the form of financial responsibility [i.e. insurance] in effect for the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">