• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with shady car repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kj_tampa

This is in Tampa Florida, the problem is my girlfriend got a 99 Sportage in January, in Port Charlotte. The SUV had multiple problems and was repaired by the dealer on site, twice for 02 sensors. For a couple of months the car has been running roughly, idle, etc. My girlfriend didn't know why it was running so bad and the check engine light NEVER came on... I took it to my mechanic here in Tampa and he told me that the check engine light would have been on IF the MIL light was actually in the car. The MIL light is the check engine light it self. The only two shops that the car was taken to was the dealer and my mechanic. I have called the dealer and the service manager has not call me back as of yet.

So my question is, how illegal is it to remove the check engine light and what kind of actions should I take? Thank you very much
Kyle J.

BelizeBreeze

There is nothing 'per se' in florida law regarding the removal of the check engine light. HOWEVER, if this car was sold by a dealer, even 'as is' then you should consult with a local attorney about the statute of frauds. Depending on the facts of the case, (and we don't have all of the facts here) a case COULD be made that the dealer knew of the problems and masked them by removing the light.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">