• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with insurance claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HomeWorx

What is the name of your state? New York

Hello all.. First off let me thank any and all of you helping us out on here.

The situation is this, approx three months ago i had borrowed my fathers car. He lives in NY and i live in NJ. The car was stolen from in front of my house and i immediatly reported to the local PD and he reported it to the insurance company. Two days later the car was found and the claim process had begun. We had the car brought to the local dealership to have the repairs done. It took almost 2 months for the ins. company and the dealer to finally get done deciding what was going to happen to the car. It is now going on its third month of repair time and we recieved a call from the dealer today stating that the insurance company was only going to cover $65 of the dealers hourly repair rate of $110/hr. The insurance company made a statement to the dealer that my father agreed to pay the difference which i know is false as we would never have made such an agreement.

So here are my questions.

#1 Should we have to pay for insurance on a vehicle which is known to all parties to be "off the road"?

#2 does the insurance company have a time limit for repairs?

#3 Are we screwed when it comes to the extra hourly rate? Do they have to have some proof of this agreement?

Thanks alot

Bryan

HomeWorx

The Saga Continues

NY

Okay all the saga continues.

It is now approx 4 months after the theft of the vehicle.
Ins company originally decided to fix the car. It has taken 4 months to get the car mechanically repaired and then they sent the car off to the body shop.

Now the Ins comp has decided to total the vehicle.

Is there anything that is available to me since the car has taken 4 months to declare totaled??

Someone PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS!! I NEED INFO BAD.

teflon_jones

Has your insurance company provided you with a rental car? Did you attempt to cancel the insurance after the accident? Do you have a loan on the car, is it leased, or do you hold the title?

Did you sign work orders authorizing the shop(s) to work on the car? What did the insurance company say is going to happen to those bills now that they have decided to total the car?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">