• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof of Insurance By Mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

Zensae

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I lost my job a couple months ago and did not have the money to keep up on my auto insurance, but I also did not need to drive my car since I had no employment, and I live with a roommate who can drive. I recently got a job and started shopping online for auto insurance, and got Insurance that became effective as of 11/26/2002. A couple days after that I got a letter in the mail from the State of Ohio requesting proof of Insurance for the date 10/30/02 :( Just my luck...

I did a little research through their site and all their insurance laws say that you must have auto insurance to DRIVE your car, or to allow someone else to DRIVE your car. None of them say that just by owning a car you must maintain insurance on it the whole time.

Anyhow, I did not respond to the first letter and I just got the second letter today notifying me of suspension that's going to occur on 2/18/03 if I don't send proof of insurance for the date requested within 21 days.

Can they really suspend my license without proof that I was driving (or anyone else was driving my car) on the day in question?? I thought it was innocent until proven guilty here in the US?

I'm not sure how to handle this situation, I really don't want to get my license suspended because I don't want to lose my new job, I also don't want to have "special" insurance for the next 5 years either :(

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you,

Chuck Hall

tammy8

Where was the tag from your car? Some states (NC, SC, & FL) require that if you do not keep liablity insurance on your vehicle you must turn in the tag to your vehcile. Is this required in your state? If so, sometimes the DMV will allow you to pay a fine and keep your license and tag.

Z

Zensae

Hi,

It was (is) in Ohio. I have looked on several sites for laws but haven't found any deatailed ones regarding this situation. The only ones I've found are the ones that say in order to operate or allow anyone to operate the car you must have insurance on it. I suppose I could try to call them and run my situation by them, but I don't want to 'admit guilt' if it really is a problem that I didn't have insurance... Well, thanks...

Chuck

J

JoBarry

Zensae -

I'm sure you've already seen the following about Ohio's Financial Responsibility Law, but just in case ......

Random verification program

The Ohio BMV's random verification program is the latest step in ensuring greater compliance with the state's FR law. This process includes mailing letters to a random selection of 5% of the 9.8 million registered vehicle and noncommercial truck owners in Ohio, or about 280,000 notices a year.

Recipients of letters are given 21 days to respond to this first request for FR proof. The BMV then allows up to 10 days before the first "Notice of Suspension" is mailed. This "Notice" allows a 60-day grace period in which the individual may still provide FR proof prior to the suspension taking effect. A second "Notice of Suspension" is sent via certified mail 42 days before the start of the suspension. This is to ensure that the BMV has the proper mailing address for the registered vehicle owner. Considering this process, there is actually a three-month period for an individual to prove FR compliance prior to being placed under suspension.

For answers to questions regarding the random verification program, contact the FR hotline at 1-800-636-9825.

I would suggest you call the number above and explain your situation (anonymously if they will do that). You are ultimately going to have to deal with this so you may want to nip it now vs. fighting to get your license reinstated. Maybe there is some type of "hardship" provision for people in your circumstance.

Good luck, Joanna

R

ram1

Hi, I have lived in 11 different states during my military days from coast to coast and they all have the same law, perhaps even yours. Here it is: if you own a vehicle you must register and title it within 30 days wether you drive it or not. Any registered vehicle, wether it is being driven or not must carry liability (minimum requirement by states) or full coverage if there is a lien (the bank will demand that). You may opt to pay into the state fund for uninsured motorists to cover your liability and keep your license from being suspended or revoked but it does not sustitute for liability and you are liable if you get in an accident. If you don't want to drive your car at all you must acquire a vintage Title but you won't get plates or registration and cannot drive the car.

In other words, if you have registration/plates the car is considered driven and must carry liability insurance, wether you drive it once in a year or everyday. All this info is provided by the state DMV in a booklet or at the hotline, check with yours.
CA, VA, NY, AZ, NM, HI, NC, PA, CO, WA, TX some of the states I lived in all have the same law.

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">