• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof of liability insurance card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JohnBendik

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas

I have auto insurance through an online insurance company (Esurance) that does not provide "Proof of Liability Insurance" cards; instead they provide a online link to the document, which you can then print on your own printer.
During a recent traffic stop, I presented this document and was told by the officer that in Texas self-printed documents are considered 'forged documents' and were not legal proof of insurance. I called Esurance and they said the officer was incorrect and that the card I printed from their web site was legal to present to an officer during a traffic stop.
Who is right?

Thanks,
John Bendiksen

O

orependula278

insurance cards

They need to provide a card or some statement on company letterhead with your coverages and dates of coverage. The officer probably thought a card printed out from a computer could be forged and he therefore could not accept it as proof of insurance. I say if you are paying premiums, they need to provide a complete insurance contract and cards.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JohnBendik said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas

I have auto insurance through an online insurance company (Esurance) that does not provide "Proof of Liability Insurance" cards; instead they provide a online link to the document, which you can then print on your own printer.
During a recent traffic stop, I presented this document and was told by the officer that in Texas self-printed documents are considered 'forged documents' and were not legal proof of insurance. I called Esurance and they said the officer was incorrect and that the card I printed from their web site was legal to present to an officer during a traffic stop.
Who is right?

Thanks,
John Bendiksen

My response:

The officer.

IAAL

Bigfoot

If the officer called your car registration number in to the Division of Motor Vehicles during the stop, would the name of the company and the id match?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">