• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pitter

I was living with friends and they decided to move out. They left some of their stuff at the house because they didnt have room at their new place. They said I can use the items left behind if I wanted to. Months went by and they never came back to get their stuff. They never called or even paid any money for storage. They basically abandoned their stuff. Anyway, months have passed and their things have been used. Unfortunately, one of their chairs has been broken. Now they expect me to buy them brand new furniture to replace the broken chair. The chair in question is NOT brand new. It is a few years old and was worn in before they ever moved out. It can be fixed. Am I really responisble for the chair? Do I have to buy new furniture? If I was their landlord and they left this stuff behind when they moved out, the property would have been tossed out a long time ago. Am I wrong?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Pitter said:
I was living with friends and they decided to move out. They left some of their stuff at the house because they didnt have room at their new place. They said I can use the items left behind if I wanted to. Months went by and they never came back to get their stuff. They never called or even paid any money for storage. They basically abandoned their stuff. Anyway, months have passed and their things have been used. Unfortunately, one of their chairs has been broken. Now they expect me to buy them brand new furniture to replace the broken chair. The chair in question is NOT brand new. It is a few years old and was worn in before they ever moved out. It can be fixed. Am I really responisble for the chair? Do I have to buy new furniture? If I was their landlord and they left this stuff behind when they moved out, the property would have been tossed out a long time ago. Am I wrong?
My response:

You're not wrong. They abandoned their property. If they want to press the issue, tell 'em to go "pound sand" and sue you.

What? You use a Volkswagen, and the owner wants a Rolls Royce in return?

They don't have a prayer.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">