• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property damage from falling tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CSS3003

My neighbor hired someone to cut down a tree. A limb fell and damaged my garage roof. Is the tree cutter or the property owner responsible for the damages? The tree cutter had someone repair the roof in a totally unacceptable way. There is still a limb sticking through the roof on one section and he feels a little caulk is all it needs. I told him the whole job needs to be ripped out and done correctly by someone who knows what they are doing. I requested that he use my regular roofing contractor but he feels the price is unacceptable. He wants me to get another estimate and he will choose a company to get an estimate and he will compare the three. My question is, do I have to accept a contractor that I am unfamiliar with or can I insist on my contractor who I know from experience will do the job correctly and guarantee his work? The tree cutter would not answer me when I asked if he had liability insurance so I have to assume he doesn't. My property is in Indiana.

HomeGuru

CSS3003 said:
My neighbor hired someone to cut down a tree. A limb fell and damaged my garage roof. Is the tree cutter or the property owner responsible for the damages? The tree cutter had someone repair the roof in a totally unacceptable way. There is still a limb sticking through the roof on one section and he feels a little caulk is all it needs. I told him the whole job needs to be ripped out and done correctly by someone who knows what they are doing. I requested that he use my regular roofing contractor but he feels the price is unacceptable. He wants me to get another estimate and he will choose a company to get an estimate and he will compare the three. My question is, do I have to accept a contractor that I am unfamiliar with or can I insist on my contractor who I know from experience will do the job correctly and guarantee his work? The tree cutter would not answer me when I asked if he had liability insurance so I have to assume he doesn't. My property is in Indiana.
**A: file a claim with your homeowners insurance co and they will tell you what to do. In the meantime, enjoy your treehouse.

A

aero0130

For what its worth, I know that in North Carolina the person who hires the people to do work for them can be held reliable. Many years ago when I lived at home my father hired someone to cut some trees down and the guy accidently cut down some of our neighbors trees and my father was forced to pay for the damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">