• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheaker

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

I was recently rear-ended and my car was totaled. The other drivers insurance company has accepted 100% liability. The automobile portion of the claim has been settled and reasonable I think.

I had three computers in the trunk and are now not working (if you could see the car it would not need an explanation). My question is: what should I expect to receive for these computers? They are a few years old but to replace them it would cost around $350 a piece. Is ACV all I can expect or is replacement value a realistic demand?

Thanks

seniorjudge

sheaker said:
Can you clarify that? Do you mean three times what they offer?
I didn't know they had already offered.

Oh, well. What I meant is YOU ask for three times what you really want.

sheaker

Thanks for the info. They haven't offered anything yet. I am assuming they will.

I have never done this before so I guess I am a little naive. Is it realistic to ask $1000 for a computer that can be replaced for $350? This info is easily verified by going to Dell.com.

I really don't expect to get $1000 for each computer just $350.

sheaker

One more question.

Are they required to give me replacement cost (versus ACV)? What leverage do I have if any?

Does filing a small claims court suit worth considering?

stephenk

you would be entitled to their present value only. make sure you ask for the value of the software you lost on the computers that were not originally installed on the computers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">