• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage Release - Am I still liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lanfeare

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

A rental car was damaged in an accident for which I am not at fault. My Visa card's CDW paid part of the total damage estimate and Visa received the following property damage release, signed and notarized by the rental car company:

(Some details withheld, all other text reproduced)

"For the sole consideration of: US$575.00 the receipt and sufficiency whereof is here acknowledged, 'Rental Car' Corporation the undersigned hereby releases and discharges Visa USA Program, Cardholder 'X' and all of their subsidiaries and parent companies, agents, and all other employees for damage to a rental vehicle arising out of an incident which occurred on May 17, 2008 involving a rental vehicle during the rental period of May 13, 2008 - May 18, 2008.

The undersigned hereby declares that the terms of the settlement have been completely read and fully understood and voluntarily accepted for the purpose of making a full and final settlement on any and all claims, and for the express purpose of precluding any further or additional claims against World Access Services Corporation, 'etc'"

I am "X" and my question is...does this also release me from the balance of the damages?

ecmst12

No of course not. It releases the other person from further liability. If the amount they are offering doesn't cover the damage, don't sign it. Or it releases VISA from further liability. It doesn't release YOU from anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">