• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property damage release form

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dar756

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was in an accident with my husbands car. i was the only one in the car and i was hit by a bus at a red light. My husbands car was totalled. They called and said they had a check for the car but my husband had to sign a release sounded ok to me at the time. he gets home with this paper that says...
Property Damage Release
KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS:
That the undersigned being of lawful age, for sol consideration of $(amount of check) do/does herby discharge (bus companyname and insurance name) and his, her their, or its agents, servants, successors, heirs, executors, administrators and all other persons, firms, coporations, associations or partnerships of and from any and all claims,actions, causes of action, demands, rights, damages, costs, loss of service, expenses and compensationwhatssoever, which the undersigned now has/have or which may hereafter accrue on account of or in any way growing out of any and all known and unknown, forseen or unforeseen property damage and the consequences there of resulting or to result fromt eh occurrence on or about the (day of accident) at or near (place of accident). It is understood and agreed that this settlement is the compromise of a doubtful and disputed claim, and the payment made is not to be construed as an admission of liability on the part of the party or parties hereby released. and that said releasees deny liability therefor and intend merly to avoid litigation and buy there peace.

The undersigned furhter declare and represent that no promise inducement or agreement not here in expressed has been made to the undersigned, and this release contains the entire agreement between the parties hereto, and that the terms of this release are contractual and not a mere recital.

and then they gave him a check for the amount (bookvalue of car)
with my husbands name and my name on it.

can someone explane this.. was this just a property damage release or a release of my injury allso.. and if so only my husband signing it how could he release on all medical owed to me.
we really could use the money but im afraid to sign the check.. on the check it allso says.. pd final ...i was toled that meant property damage but how do you really know and i was fine to signe the check.
thanks so much i hope someone can help. sorry about how long this is.
please help

Last edited:

H

huhwhatWHO

your injury claim and PD claim are seperate issues..the property release is just that, a release of the property claim..

N

nena1974

I wouldn't sign it until you know exactly because it states compensation whatsoever, so doesn't than mean any type of compensation. i received a letter similar and haven't signed it because i want to make sure it is only release for damages and not personal injury.

good luck

JETX

Huh is correct. This check would only be a release of the PROPERTY damage claim. If you want to, contact the insurance company and get them to mail or FAX a letter to you confirming that the check endorsement does NOT release them from any PERSONAL INJURY claims that might arise.

dar756

thanks for you help i have not signed it and they did not ask me to sign the form only my husband since it was his car. i was more worried that him signing it would have something to do with me and my injury when signing the check. and i will take your advice and get something from them stating if i endorse the check it will not release my rights on an injury claim. its just scary you never know how they can trick you with out a lawyer and i would hate to get a lawyer and pay someone before you know it, your left with nothing. i did call 2 different lawyers and took free advise over the phone and they did say it was for property damage i just hated how my name was on the check. the less i sign right now the better off i am. Thanks if anyone else has any in put please post its appriciated

JETX

The reason that your name and your husbands are both on the check is that the vehicle is very likely titled in both names. They simply want both owners to sign.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">