• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property damage /statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcat77

I live in New Jersey.
About 2 1/2 - 3 years ago my wife was helping a neighbor get rid of some bulk garbage.
In the process my wife backed a trailer into the neighbors mobile home damaging
1 piece of skirting and a support jack. The Jack was rotted from water damage
along with most of the other jacks holding up the mobile home. Now here we are almost
3 years later and they want to sue us for replacement of the entire skirting around
the house and all of the jacks. They are stating that because my wife broke the one
jack it put extra pressure on the other ones causing the other jacks to begin failing.
My questions are, is this still withing the statue of limitations for New Jersey?
And can I be held responsible for all of the structural damage even though all of
the jacks are rotted from water damage and are around 15 years old?

ecmst12

According to my training stuff from work, PD SOL is 6 years in NJ. However if they failed to mitigate their damages by not completing the repair in a timely manner, leading to additional damage beyond what was directly caused by the accident, you are not responsible for that additional damage. You are also not responsible for any damage present BEFORE the accident happened. Let your insurance company handle it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">