• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Punishment for a hit and run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bnovak

Hit parked car and ran. Felony? Misdemeanor? Punishment? Any thoughts out there? State of California.

LegalBeagle

bnovak said:
Hit parked car and ran. Felony? Misdemeanor? Punishment? Any thoughts out there? State of California.
It is a Felony and when they catch you, expect 5-7 years. That can be reduced to 6 months probation if you turn yourself in. For the sake of the poor sucker whos car you hit, I suggest you go to the police station this morning and report it.

C

Carefull Driver

My father got into a hit-and-run a few years back. The other driver was drunk, tried to offer him cash on the scene, and ran when he wouldn't take it. My father remebered the license plate number, and the other car was found and impounded.

Even though it was a day or two later and he had slept off his hangover, he wasn't charged with the hit-and-run or dui when he turned himself in.

I am not saying you won't be charged with the hit and run if you turn yourself in, but you may not be. I would talk to a lawyer. It would be very bad for you if someone out there got your license plate number and they found you before you turn yourself in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">