• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about car accident and insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

roook

I'm in Georgia, Atlanta to be exact.

Here's the deal... I have been driving a junk car (1985 oldsmobile cutlass ciera 4d) from my roommate's brother, so it is technically not in my name. But anyways, I've been paying the car insurance on it and using it for the past 3 years or so. This car is a wreck. The front doors don't open, one of the rear doors is smashed in, the engine has numerous problems. Basically, I was driving it until it stopped running, and am a little surprised it's lasted this long (although I have spent a ton of money on various problems). I'm pretty poor and can't afford a new or better car at this time.

Last week I was turning into my apartment complex and was rear ended. It was very obvious it was the other driver's fault. She was ticketed, admittedit was her fault, there were no injuries, she had insurance (with the same company as mine is with), etc. The trunk is now crumped in a bit and won't close and the rear tire well is bent in and scrapes the tire. The insurance company came out and declared it 'totaled'. Now here's my problem:

I NEED a new car to replace this one. My car insurance has said that compensation amounts to $670. This is the $1400 evaluated cost of the vehicle, minus about $250 in unrepaired damages, AND minus my $500 deductible. Why am I paying a deductible when this is not my fault? Others have told me that car insurance companies will give you 3 offers, and to deny the first. Should I do this? I could use some advice.

-Ben

Last edited:

lwpat

If it was her fault then they should not take the deductible. You have already admitted that it was a junker so the 1400 less 250m is probably fair.

The other thing is that they will pay the registered owner, not you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">