• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about lawfirms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sonshin46

What is the name of your state? New York
I have had an open personal injury case for about 1 1/2 years now, and am not particularly happy with the law firm. About every 3-4 months the lawyers/paralegals I am dealing with leave without telling me, and I have to get used to someone new. I guess my question is, if I were to switch lawfirms/lawyers, how would that work with the payment? Would I have to pay them before I leave for all the work they have done so far? Or would they get paid after/if I win a settlement with the new lawfirm? I also have a Social Security case with them. Thanks for any response.

HomeGuru

Sonshin46 said:
What is the name of your state? New York
I have had an open personal injury case for about 1 1/2 years now, and am not particularly happy with the law firm. About every 3-4 months the lawyers/paralegals I am dealing with leave without telling me, and I have to get used to someone new. I guess my question is, if I were to switch lawfirms/lawyers, how would that work with the payment? Would I have to pay them before I leave for all the work they have done so far? Or would they get paid after/if I win a settlement with the new lawfirm? I also have a Social Security case with them. Thanks for any response.
**A: read your retainer agreement. I am sure they would get paid for hours worked to date ( as if you were not on a contingency) if you took your case elsewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">