• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about leaving a note at scene of accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

timmcneely

Hi,

I have a question about the CA vehicle code. Another person was driving my vehicle and crashed into a wall. There was damage done to the wall but no one left a note on the damaged wall. (it was late at night and no on was around) After I got home I was looking in the CA vehicle code and came across section 20002. It states that the driver of the vehicle must

"Leave in a conspicuous place on the vehicle or other property damaged a written notice giving the name and address of the driver and of the owner of the vehicle involved and a statement of the circumstances thereof and shall without unnecessary delay notify the police department of the city wherein the collision occurred or, if the collision occurred in unincorporated territory, the local headquarters of the Department of the California Highway Patrol."

I just wanted to make sure that I was not in violation of this or any other section of the code. While it is my car, I was not driving. Do I need to worry about notifying the wall owner and the police or is it the drivers FULL responsibility?

The full text of the code in question can be found at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=19001-20000&file=20000-20018

Thanks

T

timmcneely

In this situation, how can i best cover my butt and make sure that I do what i need to do? My concern is that I am protected and that I take care of things to the best of my ability. Any Advice?

[Edited by timmcneely on 12-27-2000 at 10:13 AM]

HomeGuru

You act like you were the driver and go to the property owner and tell them what happened. Give the property owner your contact information and the contact information of the driver. Give the property owner your contact insurance information and notify your insurance agent of the accident. Contact the police and file an accident report. If you were in the vehicle at the time of the accident, you are a witness.

T

timmcneely

Thanks for the advice. It looks like even though another driver crashed, I need to make sure everything gets done (SR1, police report, ect) so i cover myself.

But...Dose the driver of my vehicle have to do anything at all? Or is this guy free to slack off and do nothing?

HomeGuru

timmcneely said:
Thanks for the advice. It looks like even though another driver crashed, I need to make sure everything gets done (SR1, police report, ect) so i cover myself.

But...Dose the driver of my vehicle have to do anything at all? Or is this guy free to slack off and do nothing?
HomeGuru response: the driver is the primary responsible party so he has liability for causing the accident and for monetary damages ie. repair of the wall, your vehicle etc. He is definitely not free to slack off and do nothing, so don't let him get away with it.

T

timmcneely

Well...I can see why you call yourself the guru!!! You have proved very helpfull and informative.

The guy who crashed is pretty much refusing to do much at all. How can I see to it that he gets some sort of punushment for failing to comply with parts of the CA vehicle code?

He did not (i did) fill out a SR1 form.
He rused to give me his driver license number.(i reflected this on the from).
He did not take responibility to notify the property owner of the damage(i did based on your advice)
A few days ago he stoped returning my phone calls.

I don't really like the idea of going to court and the money is not really the issue any more. I just want to see him own up to his responibility or get punished for not.

I might just have to give a run down of the whole long story to get some better advice (I have been kepping a record of everything I do)

It seems like everytime I try and make him own up to it, he runs away....How do we teach him thats not the right thing to do?

HomeGuru

You have 2 options:

1) Caveman style- hunt him down and beat the crap out of him to teach him a lesson.

2) Modernman style- take him to court.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HomeGuru said:
You have 2 options:

1) Caveman style- hunt him down and beat the crap out of him to teach him a lesson.

2) Modernman style- take him to court.
My response:

I like choice number 1.

It's so much more satisfying, and Lucianno and Guido need the workout anyway. Going to court is so, well, just plain old "sissy".

There's nothing on this earth like a good 'ol "pounding".

IAAL

HomeGuru

IAAL, I love that Jurassic mentality and that testicular fortitude. I take back that trailor trash comment I said about you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HomeGuru said:
IAAL, I love that Jurassic mentality and that testicular fortitude. I take back that trailor trash comment I said about you.
My response:

Trailer trash comment ? Oh, geez. Great, now you tell me. I thought you said "Sailor trash" !!

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 12-27-2000 at 10:58 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">