• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Neocelsus

What is the name of your state? Florida

I'm new to this site and I can't find a pre-existing answer to my question.

I’m planning to start up an online business. I was and am hoping to sell swords online. I’m planning to cover my bases, setting up disclaimers ( something akin to the following:

Laws regarding the sale of certain items in this catalog vary from state to state. It is solely the responsibility of the customer to be aware of and conform to the laws of his or her state, and it is in no way the responsibility of _____. We are not responsible for any injuries resulted from using merchandise (swords, knives or other weapons) purchased from ____. To purchase these kind of items you must be 18 years old or older.

) and I’m going to probably going to ask for drivers license #s to boot (I’m trying to find a program to find info from the driver’s license #.)

Now I hope this never happens, but in the event that the sword causes someone injury or death can I be held responsible even if I tried my hardest to make sure this doesn’t occur? I understand the laws on defective products more or less, but I’m not to sure on dangerous products.

Thanks,
Neocelsus

P

ProResearch

Hi Neo --

I don't have a legal answer for you (perhaps someone else will offer), but as a suggestion I would recommend you get business insurance, and let the insurance agent know everything, what you'll be selling, how you will be selling it, etc. -- just in case!

I have several friends who have small businesses and it would be a mistake *not* to have some kind of coverage in the event you are sued. If in doubt as to whether you should get some type of insurance, you might try a consultation or three (usually free) with an attorney experienced in insurance law or personal injury law.

Now that was worth 3 centavos perhaps! lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">