• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about where insurance points are recorded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FocusOn718

I don't know if anyone on these forums can help me out with this question but I am seriously curious on where this information is recorded.

I believe the central database that stores claims, etc is Choice Point or CLUE

But where are 'insurance' points actually stored and kept a record of?

I know you can have more 'insurance' points than points on your drivers license.

For example, If I had 20 points on my NJ drivers license and moved to NY - NY would issue me a DL with 0 points.

When I go to get insurance, they will see all of my traffic tickets within the past 3 years. Where does the insurance company get that information from?

Insurance companies gather your "points" based upon your actual driving record.

They will charge points for moving violation citations you received in other states, if they appear on your MVR. It doesn't matter whether or not your current state is counting them as points. They will also charge points for accidents that appear on a CLUE report, whether or not they appear on your MVR. (if it was a chargeable, i.e. negligent accident).

Basically, you could have a completely clean MVR, but if CLUE pulls up accidents that your prior carrier paid, the insurance company then knows about them, and charges you for them, accordingly.

The information is stored in your insurance company's computer files, after they gather it from the state's department of motor vehicles, CLUE and your prior carrier(s).

F

FocusOn718

So if I HAD a NJ license with 10 points,s nothing on my clue report and got a NY license and had 0 points on that

When I go for insurance, how does the insurance company know to look at NJ DMV's MVR record for me?

Do they look at every states record for me?

tammy8

Most companies will see that you had another state's license and will then pull that state's records.

They will pull your current state's DMV record. Tickets received in other states usually show up, (but not always) and sometimes there is a significant delay before they appear.

I have looked at an awful lot of DMV records for California residents, which reflect citations received in other states. as well as accidents in other states.

B

BennyDi

When your insurance company in New York pulls your NY MVR (which I do every day), listed on your DMV record is a statement similar to the following: "reciprocity (sp) ocurred on such-and-such-a-date for the state of NJ" The NY insurance company would then pull your NJ MVR using your name and date of birth and any information would be obtained from NJ.

Your points are kept in the databases of the states you are licensed in, or were licensed in.

There are also violations and convictions that are kept for more than 3 years, such as DWI.

And, as previously stated, your insurance points are stored in the database of the insurance company you have, or have had.

You can run, but you can't hide. Big insurance brother is watching you.

Last edited:

JETX

I know that this doesn't answer your strict question of what database is used by the insurance companies to retain points, but the following may help to clear up some issues on the drivers license system in NJ:

Traffic laws and Point System (New Jersey)

The point system
Motor Vehicles keeps track of your driving record by adding points to your record when you are convicted of a moving violation. The more serious the violation, the more points you are given. All point violations after March 1, 1974 will stay on your driving record. Two points will be added to your driving record for traffic violations committed in other states. Up to three points will be subtracted from your point total for every year that you go without a violation or suspension, but your point total will never be reduced below zero. Traffic laws are enforceable on highways, roadways, parking areas, driveways and grounds owned and maintained by government entities. Also, drivers convicted of reckless or careless driving in any area open to vehicular traffic or usage will be subject to the charges applicable to that moving violation.

Interstate Compacts
New Jersey belongs to two Interstate Compacts. Member states exchange information to ensure driver compliance with the law and that they receive penalties for violations. The Nonresident Violator Compact assures nonresident motorists in member states they'll receive the same treatment as resident motorists. When drivers receive traffic citations in member states, they must fulfill the terms of that citation or face the possibility of license suspension in their home state until they meet those terms. Nonresident drivers have due process protection and cannot be detained out of state. Currently, 44 states and the District of Columbia are members of the compact. Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon and Wisconsin are nonmembers. The compact doesn't apply to parking or standing violations, highway weight limit violations and violations of Hazmat transportation laws. The National Driver License Compact exchanges violation information with other states and the district. Out-of-state violations become part of your NJ driving record. Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan and Wisconsin are exempt states.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">