• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A question on ethics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tellafriend

California

Before I insult every one of you in here let me start by saying I know absolutely nothing about the field in which I'm about to ask about. I am claiming 100% ignorance - just to let you know and I have the utmost respect for each and every one of you.

I have an ethical question. My wife and I have been in two car accidents in the last 3 years (not our fault). We've dealt with the same attorney in both. His policy was always, "don't call us we'll call you" in regards to reaching a settlement with the other party's insurance. We've waited in both cases almost a year for settlement.

Each time that I've called around the 10 month mark there's been no word but a few days later, as if by magic, a settlement comes in.

I've got some feelings about this whole process that I'd like feedback on.

I wonder if my attorney didn't get paid long ago and just held on to the funds perhaps to carry him through another case or to earn interest from the funds collected. Is this typical? Is it ethical?

I've also got a feeling that the original monies collected by my attorney were much more than what was eventually distributed to me. In other words, I think maybe my attorney got $$$ from the other insurance company and only gave me $. Is it routine for attorney's to offer their clients less than what they received from the other insurance company? I mean, I guess if it were me and I got $15,000 from XInsurance co. and I told my client they were getting a check for $1,000 and they were happy who does that hurt?

Am I way off on this process?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">