• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questionable Police Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarkFree

State -- Missouri

My 23 year old son was in an accident on a Missouri Interstate. He was driving his pickup truck in the left lane and a van was along side him in the right lane. He states the van veered to the left, striking his vehicle causing him to end up in the median of the highway. The van fled the scene.

A Missouri safety officer arrived within minutes. Of course, my son told him what had happened. About 45 minutes later, an officer advised my son the woman driving the van had been stopped.

A few weeks later, he received a letter from the van driver's insurance company asking for payment of damages. He requested a copy of the accident report from the Missouri Highway Patrol.

The officer's report stated that my son was changing lanes and hit the van, then overcorrected and ended up in the median.

The woman was alone in the van. My son's girlfriend was in his vehicle, but she was asleep at the time of the collision. There are no witnesses listed on the accident report and my son is not aware of any witnesses.

This is essentially a "He said/She said" situation. Obviously, the patrolman wrote his report based on waht he was told by a 42 year old woman rather than what he was told by a 23 year old man.

My son contacted the officer's supervisor and explained how the accident occurred. He recently received a revised report but, even with the revisions, the report still indicates that he is to blame.

We could use some advice. Does my son have any recourse in this situation?

Thank you

seniorjudge

MarkFree said:
State -- Missouri

My 23 year old son was in an accident on a Missouri Interstate. He was driving his pickup truck in the left lane and a van was along side him in the right lane. He states the van veered to the left, striking his vehicle causing him to end up in the median of the highway. The van fled the scene.

A Missouri safety officer arrived within minutes. Of course, my son told him what had happened. About 45 minutes later, an officer advised my son the woman driving the van had been stopped.

A few weeks later, he received a letter from the van driver's insurance company asking for payment of damages. He requested a copy of the accident report from the Missouri Highway Patrol.

The officer's report stated that my son was changing lanes and hit the van, then overcorrected and ended up in the median.

The woman was alone in the van. My son's girlfriend was in his vehicle, but she was asleep at the time of the collision. There are no witnesses listed on the accident report and my son is not aware of any witnesses.

This is essentially a "He said/She said" situation. Obviously, the patrolman wrote his report based on waht he was told by a 42 year old woman rather than what he was told by a 23 year old man.

My son contacted the officer's supervisor and explained how the accident occurred. He recently received a revised report but, even with the revisions, the report still indicates that he is to blame.

We could use some advice. Does my son have any recourse in this situation?

Thank you
Q: Does my son have any recourse in this situation?

A: No. I am amazed they even revised it a little; I have never seen that happen.

efflandt

One question that could be raised is why didn't she (van driver) stop at the accident scene? It sounds like they had to stop her (hit and run), or did she seek the police to report it? Fleeing the scene without attempting to report it would seem to point the finger at her (non-legal common sense observation).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">