• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

raising rates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rosered66

What is the name of your state? NC

My auto insurance was up for renewal this past July. My insurance agent quoted me a lower price than I had been paying, due to my good driving record. The rate was about $20 lower a month, so I agreed to renew my policy with them.

Last week, I got my monthly insurance premium bill. I was most upset when I saw that they had raised my insurance premium by
$24 more a month, above the price they had quoted me at my
"renewal talk". They never bothered to contact me about this
increase or even send me a notice.

When I went in to ask them why my rates had been raised, the
agent claimed that he had quoted me too high a price--that you
had to be on their "safe-driving program" for at least 3 years
before I would qualify for the rate he had quoted me.
(I've only been a client for one year). He apologized profusely and said it was his mistake, but it looks like to me he should've
known the difference between 1 year and 3 years.

I inquired about cancelling my policy--the agent said I could, but
my policy would be "short-rated" (whatever that is).

I feel like I have been flim-flammed. An extra $20 a month may not be a lot to some people, but to someone who's disabled and
on a fixed income like myself, every little bit counts. I feel like
they at least should have had the common decency to give me a
phone call or send me a notice through the mail.

I am wondering if this practice is even legal, because the renewal
contract I signed was for the lower rate.

I'm also wondering if this isn't a case of "credit scoring"--my credit
card debt has increased somewhat during the previous year.
Do insurance companies use your credit records in deciding how
much to charge you?? I heard on the CBS news that they did.

Input from someone, please?? I could use it.

:confused:

Last edited:

racer72

The insurance agent made a mistake but you have no legal recourse. And it is legal to use your credit rating in determining your insurance rates. It is a known fact that those with poor credit file many more claims than those with good credit.

tammy8

In NC, I would say that 98% of companies use credit as a factor with almost as much weight as a safe driving record. I know of several MAJOR claims filed recently and amazely these claims were filed by people in bankrupty.

To the orginal poster, I don't understand about how the rates jumped up 3 monthes into the policy. Did the rates jump by $120 for the entire six monthes are just on the remaining payments?

A

a neighbor

odd?

"I know of several MAJOR claims filed recently and amazely these claims were filed by people in bankrupty. "

My car accident (not my fault), helped put me into bankruptcy. Strange how things work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">