• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

re-ended someone in no-fault state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deedrop

I rear-ended somone in a no fault state (California) and I was hoping that someone could explain to me in plain English what can/will happen now. I recently moved here, and I am told this is a no-fault state, what exactly does that mean? There was little damage done to his car, after the accident I gave him my name and number, insurance info(from out of state) and he gave me his name and number. He did not give me any insurance info and I suspect that he may not be covered. He did not phone the police and there was no report filed. I told him I would call him the next day, which I did, and he did not return my call. When/if he does call what should I tell him? What is the next step? Does he need to get an estimate? Or three? Will I pay anything out of pocket? Will out of state insurrance cover this, plus this was my brother's truck that I was driving. Does any of that matter? My brother seems to think that he will try to say he has whip-lash and I'm going to get sued big-time. Any help would be nice, thank you!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

deedrop said:
I rear-ended somone in a no fault state (California) and I was hoping that someone could explain to me in plain English what can/will happen now. I recently moved here, and I am told this is a no-fault state, what exactly does that mean? There was little damage done to his car, after the accident I gave him my name and number, insurance info(from out of state) and he gave me his name and number. He did not give me any insurance info and I suspect that he may not be covered. He did not phone the police and there was no report filed. I told him I would call him the next day, which I did, and he did not return my call. When/if he does call what should I tell him? What is the next step? Does he need to get an estimate? Or three? Will I pay anything out of pocket? Will out of state insurrance cover this, plus this was my brother's truck that I was driving. Does any of that matter? My brother seems to think that he will try to say he has whip-lash and I'm going to get sued big-time. Any help would be nice, thank you!

My response:

First, I'm going to make sure you understand this about California - - make no mistake; California is a FAULT Tort State. We here in California had "No-Fault" on the ballot and we soundly defeated it.

Report this matter to your insurance company. They will cover you, even if it was your brother's truck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">