• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rear end accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SolsticeSon

I rear ended somebody in Colorado, both cars are from Massachusetts. The damage was minimal to his car, I was at fault, I believe. There was no accident report or police involved, but he got my information.

How will something like this effect my insurance rates?
Will my insurance cover it?
Is it best to deal with out of pocket?

Since there was no accident report or anything and it was so informal, is it possible to avoid further action?

ecmst12

Yes, you are at fault and your insurance will cover it. Your rates will probably be affected but hard to say how much. The circumstances under which they can impose an actual surcharge will depend on the state and the policy itself, for example in my state they can't surcharge unless they pay out more then $1100 in damages due to an at-fault accident. Also if you have accident forgiveness it won't count against anything other then using up your "free" accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">