• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear end accident on icy road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zoramac

What is the name of your state? Michigan

This week during a snow storm I rear ended someone while on my way to a work location. I was travelling in my jeep (4 wheel drive on for the entire trip since all roads were covered with ice and snow) and i approached a stop sign. I was travelling less than 10 miles an hour and when i went to come to a stop about 15 feet behind the car at the stop sign, my vehicle lost all traction and physics and gravity took over (slight delcine on road to stop sign). I rearended the vehicle in front of me and caused minor damage to her bumper and moderate damage to my bumper. I called the local police dept. to notify them of the accident and when they got there i was given a ticket for "unable to stop in a safe distance" btw, ive had a perfectly clean driving record for 17 years

1. what are my chances of fighting this ticket and winning (i dont mind paying for damages, i just dont feel i deserve the points due to the fact that had the roads been plowed or salted it would have never happened)

2. what liability does the city have? failure to provide plowed or salted roads, especially when the storm was forcast ahead of time and in the 2 days previously there were ice storms. (if someone were to have an accident on private property the owner would be held liable under the same circumstances)

thanks
mike

racer72

1. Not good.

2. None.

There are no laws that require cities or towns to plow or sand the roads. If you choose to drive in inclement weather, you are solely responsible for all your actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">