• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rear end accident is it my fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kurt77

What is the name of your state? iowa

I was involved in accident on the highway where the car ahead of me hit some deer and slammed on her brakes. It was dark and I tryed to stop but I rear ended her. The driver is now taking me to court because she said it was my fault and wants me to pay for her damages. Does anyone know if it is all my fault or is it both of our faults. confused

lwpat

The accident should have been reported to the police and the accident report will list you as the at fault driver. You need to notify your insurance company and they are responsible for defending the suit. The issue will be how much damage occured from the deer and how much from you hitting her.

You will need to contact the attorney assigned by your insurance company and schedule a conference as soon as possible. Until you talk with him do not make any statements to anyone other than your own insurance carrier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">