• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear end Auto Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vickilynne

What is the name of your state? MN
Back in Oct my 17 yo son was involved in an auto accident for which I now believe he is getting really screwed on.

He was travelling W on a major hwy in the left lane, the vehicle in front of him moved into a divided left turn lane (the turn lane moves well off the highway), at the end of the left turn lane the driver of this vehicle, suddenly and unexpectedly pulled back on the the freeway at a very slow speed. My son, even though taking all evasive measure still plowed into the back of her truck. My son was injured and his car totaled. At the scene, the state patrol deemed her to be at fault and cited her for reckless driving and unsafe lane changes.

Her insurance company took more than 30 days to a.) return any calls to us, b.) send an adjuster to look at the car, who then made us an offer of the car, which we accepted. All the while we are storing this car and my son recovering from his injuries.

Yesterday, I got a call from her insurance adjuster who stated that she went to court (which was mandatory) and got the ticket(s) dismissed therefore they were not liable for any of the damages. My question is this:
Aren't we supposed to be invited to court in this case? And how can we be denied payment when clearly she caused the accident? Just because she didn't want a bad driving record, doesn't mean she gets out of this does it?

We've been advised to take it to small claim court, but medical bills, the cost of the car, storage of the car (that we couldn't do anything with), and towing are all more than $7500.00. What do we do next?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? MN
Back in Oct my 17 yo son was involved in an auto accident for which I now believe he is getting really screwed on.

He was travelling W on a major hwy in the left lane, the vehicle in front of him moved into a divided left turn lane (the turn lane moves well off the highway), at the end of the left turn lane the driver of this vehicle, suddenly and unexpectedly pulled back on the the freeway at a very slow speed. My son, even though taking all evasive measure still plowed into the back of her truck. My son was injured and his car totaled. At the scene, the state patrol deemed her to be at fault and cited her for reckless driving and unsafe lane changes.

Her insurance company took more than 30 days to a.) return any calls to us, b.) send an adjuster to look at the car, who then made us an offer of the car, which we accepted. All the while we are storing this car and my son recovering from his injuries.

Yesterday, I got a call from her insurance adjuster who stated that she went to court (which was mandatory) and got the ticket(s) dismissed therefore they were not liable for any of the damages. My question is this:
Aren't we supposed to be invited to court in this case? And how can we be denied payment when clearly she caused the accident? Just because she didn't want a bad driving record, doesn't mean she gets out of this does it?

We've been advised to take it to small claim court, but medical bills, the cost of the car, storage of the car (that we couldn't do anything with), and towing are all more than $7500.00. What do we do next?
Turn this over to your insurance company.

vickilynne

Rear end

We have turned it over to our insurance company, so far they have picked up the majority of the medical. However, my son had this car exactly 36 hours, we called and got insurance on the car as soon as we drove it away from the prior owners, but did not have full coverage, nor did we have a policy as of the date of the accident.

My insurance won't pay out anything as far as the car goes since the other driver was cited, and at fault. My insurance (State Farm) also told me that they will not provide an attorney or go after American Fam, since we did not have full coverage.

We just don't know what to do next.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">