• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear-end collision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kingmd75

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

In a rear-end collision accident where there are 3 cars involved, who is responsible for the damage to the first car? My bro-in-law was stopped in traffic on an interstate, the car behind him stopped (short, but stopped), the 3rd car did not stop and therefore knocked the middle car into the first. I'm really needing the middle car to be liable, because the 3rd one doesn't have insurance. This accident happened 2 months ago. They filed through their insurance and paid the deductable and all that, but where told they'd get it back when the insurance companies settled. Now, they find out about the no-insurance thing. Their insurance is saying they are getting together with the middle car's insurance company to go after the 3rd and it could be months with collection agencies and all that crap. We're thinking maybe the middle guy is liable because he stopped too close. My brother-in-law didn't hit anyone. Isn't there a certain distance that's supposed to be maintained for stopped cars? I don't know. We're reaching here. A friend of ours is saying we should get a lawyer, because the insurance company is saying it doesn't matter that the middle guy was too close. Can we get anywhere with this?

H

hexeliebe

A friend of ours is saying we should get a lawyer, because the insurance company is saying it doesn't matter that the middle guy was too close. Can we get anywhere with this?
Yes, do as your friend suggests. There is a law for 'following too closely' but not for stopping too closely. And even with an attorney, if the last driver in the chain is found to be at fault but has no insurance, well, you know the result.

K

kingmd75

Yeah, my sister and I reasoned it out last night. Insurance companies are all about their money, so it would seem that if there was a way for them to get their money out of the middle guy's insurance then they would. My sister is just hoping to get her deductible back and the claim taken off their insurance. No one was hurt and the truck's been repaired. So, extremely small potatoes for a lawyer. Uninsured motorists! How can we stop this madness??

Thanks for your suggestion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">