• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rear end collision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jude1

My boyfriend was recently involved in a rear end collision while driving to work in a rental vehicle. He was not at fault since he was at a stop light at the time. He contacted the guilty party's insurance, (USAA) because he is now in receipt of the medical bills for the initial hospital visit and exrays. USAA has advised him that he will have to go through his own insurance under his personal injury coverage and that he would have to subrogate. Is this common practice for insurance companies to do? Why does he have to go through his own insurance? Why can't they pay for these medical bills directly since their client is clearly at fault. Also, how does he go about claiming for pain and suffering?

JETX

Do you know what state you are in??? We don't.
(See the RED text way-on up there at the top of the screen????))

J

Jude1

Re: Rear end collision

I am so sorry I failed to put down my state. I am new to your website. The state is Texas. Thanks in advance for your advise.

JETX

Okay, thanks.

Based on your first post, and that Texas is NOT a 'no-fault' state, it sounds like you are getting the run-around by the other drivers insurance (USAA).

I would suggest that you contact a good PI (Personal Injury) attorney in your area and let him handle the insurance company issues. Also, an attorney would be the best person to consider all the facts at issue and advise you as to actions you might take.

A few comments:
1) Call your local (county) Bar Association and ask for referrals to a few attorneys experienced in Personal Injury cases.
2) Ask friends, co-workers, etc. for there references for attorneys. A happy client is VERY important, and you will only find one through his/her experience.
3) Then, go talk with some attorneys. Do NOT sign with the first one you talk with.... talk with ALL of them. Negotiate the best deal for you with the attorney that you feel best will represent his client, both professionally and personally.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Oooooooh, United Services Automobile Association . . . one, tough, insurance company ! Like State Farm, USAA would rather take claims into litigation than settle - - no matter how much liability their insured has in the accident. You REALLY need an attorney if you're going up against them.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">