• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rear end nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deviant

What is the name of your state? Kansas.

Okay. My step-father was driving on 435 on wednesday in my parents 1993 gmc sierra pick up. It was pouring down rain, and another driver swerved out of the 69hwy exit lane (the one to actually get off and take the exit) and cut him off and hit their brakes so fast that he slammed on his breaks but impact still occured. Both drivers got out of the vehicle and discussed what had happened. My stepfather was going to call the police to make a report at the scene but the other driver said that he shouldn't call the police. The other driver had a couple of knicks on his bumper but that was about it. He said he wasn't to concerned about them and that he didn't want his insurance to go up. The other driver suggested that since there was little to no substancial damage that they would just both go there own ways. My stepfather agreed because his truck didn't have a single dent in it. But he also said that he would give him all of his information. ( drivers license number, name,phone number, address, in case the guy would want to get an estimate done) The other driver only gave him a name and phone number and left. My stepfather swears the guy reaked of an alcohol smell. (which i know can't be proved after the fact)
Well, the very next day the guys calls and demands $2000.00 or else. Then the guy calls again Friday and demands $1500.00 for damages to his vehicle. My stepfather told him that he would need to get an estimate done. Well the guy continues to call and demand money and then finally says that if he doesn't recieve money by monday he will report it as a hit and run. Well the guy is still calling leaving nasty messages and demanding money. Isn't that extortion? Can the guy really do anything legal to my stepfather? Can he be arrested? I'm pretty sure that if the guys goes in to claim a hit and run and he has all of my step father's information that they will know that it obviously wasn't a hit and run at the police department. What can they do to my step father? Willl they call him in to fill out a report? Will they make him pay the other guy money for his car? I know my stepfather should have called the police right when it happened, but he didn't so i need to know what can happen now. And my stepfather who still considers this to be the other drivers fault, doesn't want to pay the guy anything after all his threats and being rude.

FlyingRon

1. Tell your step-dad to report it to his insurance company. He should not be requesting estimates or doing anything indicating that he would be inclined to pay.

2. If your father stopped and exchanged info with the other driver it is NOT hit and run.

efflandt

Although, in most cases running into the rear of another vehicle is the rear driver's fault, in this case it sounds like the other driver failed to yield (did he even signal before suddenly changing lanes, and why did he brake?). But that is hard to prove without a witness.

Does your state require a police report if damage is over a certain amount?

ecmst12

Your father can go to the police station and make a report himself, then report it to his insurance company and let THEM deal with the wacko. His insurance will probably end up denying the claim and unless the other driver wants to go to court (for which he has NO evidence), he'll be SOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">