• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear Ended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sinatra

What is the name of your state?
Iowa
I was hit in the rear end of my vehicle back in Sept. The guy was going 55 mph and wasn't paying attention. I had my seat belt on and the impact of the crash raised me off the seat and threw my head over the headrest of my truck hitting my head on the back glass. All I had was a bump on the back of my head...I thought I was ok until a few days later when I started to have a pain down my arm and up my shoulder to my neck. I went to my doctor and had xrays and M.R.I. done. I went to therapy. Was on all kinds of medications. Nothing helped, now I have to have an eperderal done next week hoping this will cure the pain. The other parties insurance company keeps calling me to see if I am done with treatment and want to settle my medical bills. I feel they are rushing me. I was being nice in the begining and told them I am not the kind of person that will sue because of an accident. Now I feel they are forcing me to get an attorney. Any thoughts?

ENASNI

Hey

Hey Ol blue eyes...
Do not let them rush you...your health is too important.
get a free consultation with a Lawyer... see how you feel about what they have to say.

sinatra

Iowa
After I get the eperderal and I'm pain free,( I hope) what kind of settelment should I be looking for. I'm sure they will reimburse me for mileage from all the doctors visits. I just don't know what is the right amount to except for all the "pain and suffering" I have had neck pain since Sept. The total bills are several thousand dollars.

ENASNI

fly me to the moon

That my dear chairman of the board... is a question that can not be answered
easily.
If you peruse this here forum you will see that there are too many variables on that .
Go ahead and search this board...before you go ahead and ask such a question...
And duck and cover.

good luck with the epidural... I hope it works.

stephenk

consult with a personal injury attorney to get a feel for your case. if epidural injections are being prescribed your case is worth much more than you possibly think.

sinatra

IOWA
It's been 6 months since my last visit on this site. Just to bring you up to date..I was rear-ended in Sept 04. It was the other driver that was at fault. I have had 2 M.R.I.'s x-rays, bone scan. 4 epurderals. I've been to P.T. 8 times, 7 different medications, wearing a T-Cross brace. 3 different doctors have told me that I have some type of nerve damage in the theorasic area of my back. There is a procedure that can be done to locate the problem area...but I was told by all 3 doctors that it is a very dangerous procedure and there is a chance a lung could get punctured or the spinal cord and cause some type of paralysis.....I would have to travel to Mayo Clinic to have this done. After talking to 1 of the doctors last week...I made my mind up that I would rather live with the pain than have the procedure...Yesterday the insurance co. called and asked how everything was going....I told them the above and said I decided not to have the procedure done....she said that was fine and she has ordered all medical bills and pharmacy bills, as soon as they all come in they will re-imburse my personal health insurance and close the file on my case....nothing was mentioned about any type of settlement....i was hoping that I would'nt have to have a lawyer involved..but now i guess i have no choice...What type of lawyer should I look for??? Thanks for your help.

Happy Trails

sinatra said:
IOWA
It's been 6 months since my last visit on this site. Just to bring you up to date..I was rear-ended in Sept 04. It was the other driver that was at fault. I have had 2 M.R.I.'s x-rays, bone scan. 4 epurderals. I've been to P.T. 8 times, 7 different medications, wearing a T-Cross brace. 3 different doctors have told me that I have some type of nerve damage in the theorasic area of my back. There is a procedure that can be done to locate the problem area...but I was told by all 3 doctors that it is a very dangerous procedure and there is a chance a lung could get punctured or the spinal cord and cause some type of paralysis.....I would have to travel to Mayo Clinic to have this done. After talking to 1 of the doctors last week...I made my mind up that I would rather live with the pain than have the procedure...Yesterday the insurance co. called and asked how everything was going....I told them the above and said I decided not to have the procedure done....she said that was fine and she has ordered all medical bills and pharmacy bills, as soon as they all come in they will re-imburse my personal health insurance and close the file on my case....nothing was mentioned about any type of settlement....i was hoping that I would'nt have to have a lawyer involved..but now i guess i have no choice...What type of lawyer should I look for??? Thanks for your help.

Stephenk told you above. You need a Personal Injury Attorney.

Good luck.

jcnoernberg

You really need to speak with an attorney as everyone has told you. He will get you a settlement worth the life-time of problems you may have associated with the crash. I was rear ended a few years ago and broke two ribs, but was compensated to an amount similar to one years salary... And I healed 100%. I can only imagine what kind of settlement you will get from such a serious injury.

I would go TOMORROW to a lawyer, I went the next day after my accident, and that was a month before I was even aware I had broken ribs. In the mean time don't even talk to the insurance company, NOT ONE WORD. Just refer them to your lawyers phone number and say have a nice day. It is all recorded and they only call to minimize their liability. They have no interest in helping you and would leave you in the cold with two dimes if they could. If they offer you a figure, I'd imagine any lawyer would get you 5-10 times the amount... but then again, they wont offer you anything because you WONT BE TALKING TO THEM! good luck.

jcnoernberg said:
You really need to speak with an attorney as everyone has told you. He will get you a settlement worth the life-time of problems you may have associated with the crash. I was rear ended a few years ago and broke two ribs, but was compensated to an amount similar to one years salary... And I healed 100%. I can only imagine what kind of settlement you will get from such a serious injury.

I would go TOMORROW to a lawyer, I went the next day after my accident, and that was a month before I was even aware I had broken ribs. In the mean time don't even talk to the insurance company, NOT ONE WORD. Just refer them to your lawyers phone number and say have a nice day. It is all recorded and they only call to minimize their liability. They have no interest in helping you and would leave you in the cold with two dimes if they could. If they offer you a figure, I'd imagine any lawyer would get you 5-10 times the amount... but then again, they wont offer you anything because you WONT BE TALKING TO THEM! good luck.

First off, Insurance companies cannot record you without making you aware. Secondly if you think that a Lawyer is out to help you, your wrong. I agree you need to seek a lawyer to assist with settling your claim, however remember that the attorney is making 33% or more of any settlement you get. So make him work for it. If he says he can get you "X" dollars, don't let him come back to you in 3 months and tell you that you need to settle for what the insurance company is offering. Some attornies doe not want to take files to suit and others have no real idea what your injury is worth. Just watch out for yourself and if you think something isn't right make sure and say something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">