• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear ended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CousinsBMW

What is the name of your state? NYC

[FONT="Arial Black

Hi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since I am clueless and desperate right now. This morning I was driving home from La Guardia Airport after picking up my Brother and his family. In order to avoid a deep pothole on a Queens street I slowed down, and a white Ford Cargo van rear ended me very hard (it was drizzling today). I was driving a 2007 black BMW 328xi coupe. The bumper was deeply scratched but amazingly that was it. My question is the police filled out an incident report. My sister in law has a bad back and didn't feel great but refused medical attention. The driver of the van seemed nervous and didn't want the police involved but didn't speak English all he kept saying was NO POLICE NO BAD pointing to the BMW. I was nervous and didn't know what to do so the police was called to the scene. Do I have to report this to the insurance company? This is my cousins car and I do not want her insurance to go up, will it go up? Do I have to report it to my insurance company by law? Or should I only do so if I want the bumper covered. I am thinking it might be cheaper to cover the bumper on my own depending on how much this might be at BMW. I have not told my cousin yet since she is out of the country for medical reasons and actually had surgery today and didn't want to upset her. I know she can not afford to pay for a new bumper. Please help!!! Any advice would be great!! Thanks!

Last edited:

ecmst12

The guy who hit you is liable for the damages to the BMW. Did you get his insurance information? You were not at fault; neither your insurance nor your cousins should be affected by the not-at-fault accident.

If your SIL decides to seek medical attention (which she can still do, chances are she will be feeling worse tomorrow), she can claim that on her own PIP coverage if she has it (I don't believe PIP claims can affect your rates), or that of the owner of the car. PIP coverage is mandatory in NY and is a no-fault coverage. She can only file a bodily injury claim against the at fault driver if serious/permanent injury is present.

CousinsBMW

insurance

Surprisingly I didn't write any of the insurance info down but I did see the police take his license, and papers. I am assuming it was his insurance card. I am sure the police have a copy of this. The incident report should be ready at the police precint tomorrow. My sister in law has car insurance in florida, am not sure what that covers. Thank You for your quick reply!

ecmst12

PIP coverage is also mandatory in Florida(except for a couple of weeks back in October), so she should go through her own policy for the medical bills.

When you get the incident report, pass the other car's insurance information on to your cousin so he can file a claim with that guy's insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">