• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rear ended 6mo ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steadly

What is the name of your state? Arizona

About 6 months I was stopped at a red light when a drunk driver slammed into a Bronco that was behind me, pushing him into my car.

The drunk had just recently bought this car private party and had no insurance. But the previous owner still had insurance on the car.

I called the company (Farmers) that was still insuring the car and told them. I even told them that this car was just purchased from the policy holder like 5 days prior to the accident. They had no problem with this. about a week after the accident my car finally goes to a shop that Farmers will guarantee the work of. That’s the only reason I even sent it to that shop. They gave me a rental car for the duration of the repairs. I was going on leave at this time ( In the military ). They still had no problem of this. About 3 days into my leave the car rental agency calls me saying that Farmers had put a stop on the rental. I was 600 miles away at this time. I called up Farmers and they directed me to some higher guy... Once I talked to him, he informed me that the owner just canceled his policy and backdated it to date of the sale. He told me that it was a big mix-up and that since they where the ones that didn’t realize that it was not the owner in the accident that he was not liable. Even though I told them this from the very beginning. He told me that they would pay for all repairs and car rental upto that day. My insurance covered the rest... but now I had to pay my deductible. Which at the time was 1000. After some bargaining, my own insurance agreed that I would only pay 500 since Farmers was covering part of the repairs.
Now we come to today... I find out from my Mother that I received a bill for $500 for the rest of my deductible. Currently I'm deployed over sea’s so my Mother has Power of Attorney in my absence. She called Progressive (my insurance) about the bill and they said that Farmers never paid the amount they agreed to pay. She called Farmers and they said that they are not paying anything.

Now I'm stuck with a 500 dollar bill added on 6 months later... This is total BS.. Farmers screwed up big time! Is it even legal for them to backdate a policy like that?! I would absolutely love to go after Farmers for all the crap they put me threw! Is there anyway to do this?

teflon_jones

It is legal to backdate a policy to the date that the plates for the vehicle were turned in and the registration for that owner was cancelled.

Based on the facts in your post, Farmers didn't technically need to cover anything. Your case is against the drunk that hit you. You'll need to file a case against him/her in small claims court to get your deductible back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">