• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear-ended and guy tried to run but I caught him

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nie_mt

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Hello,
I will try to make this as short as possible. I was rear ended by a person in a full size truck going atleast 35mph while I was stopped in my mid sized car. :( The person tried to flee immediatley but I caught and followed him just as fast and called the police and they got his plate and etc. :D
I returned to the scene of the accident and there were witnesses, police reports were filed and the guy addmitted the mistake and horrible thing he did but he ended up blaming it on intestine problems :confused:

Anyways, I go to the chiropractor for over 3 months and end up going 3 times a day and made great progress. My injuries were to the neck, shoulder, mid back and lower black. Mainly headaches, soft tissue and some nerve stuff which hasn't really gone away but has been treated enough and there isn't much they can possibly do now. Still hurts a little but not as much. It has been 6 months since the accident and my attorney is trying to settle with the at fault insurance party which the at fault person carried commercial high limit insurance.

The insurance company is offering me only $12,000 gross. I am told that I can't get my $860 in the two months worth of car payments that I had to pay while I had no car and also my insurance payments that were $220 for the two months. My medical bills were $6,000.

Bottom line is I am still hurt and I know these headaches and back pains will creep up on me for a long time. They come and go. I feel that I am getting screwed with this insulting amount of compensation. I feel I deserve more than that just for having to chase the guy down. My attorney is telling me that this is all I can get and is trying to rush me and is being anything other than my advocate. What would you go for and what do you think of this situation, what would you do? Your input is valued.

Thanks.

nie_mt said:

Hello,
I will try to make this as short as possible. I was rear ended by a person in a full size truck going atleast 35mph while I was stopped in my mid sized car. :( The person tried to flee immediatley but I caught and followed him just as fast and called the police and they got his plate and etc. :D
I returned to the scene of the accident and there were witnesses, police reports were filed and the guy addmitted the mistake and horrible thing he did but he ended up blaming it on intestine problems :confused:

Anyways, I go to the chiropractor for over 3 months and end up going 3 times a day and made great progress. My injuries were to the neck, shoulder, mid back and lower black. Mainly headaches, soft tissue and some nerve stuff which hasn't really gone away but has been treated enough and there isn't much they can possibly do now. Still hurts a little but not as much. It has been 6 months since the accident and my attorney is trying to settle with the at fault insurance party which the at fault person carried commercial high limit insurance.

The insurance company is offering me only $12,000 gross. I am told that I can't get my $860 in the two months worth of car payments that I had to pay while I had no car and also my insurance payments that were $220 for the two months. My medical bills were $6,000.

Bottom line is I am still hurt and I know these headaches and back pains will creep up on me for a long time. They come and go. I feel that I am getting screwed with this insulting amount of compensation. I feel I deserve more than that just for having to chase the guy down. My attorney is telling me that this is all I can get and is trying to rush me and is being anything other than my advocate. What would you go for and what do you think of this situation, what would you do? Your input is valued.

Thanks.
What were the other driver's policy limits?

nie_mt said:

Hello,

Thanks.
You are still obligated to pay these items....even if the vehicle is being repaired.

S

shell007

Property damage and Personal injury should not be lumped into one settlement? They should be two seperate claims.

Personal Injury Actions: Nevada
These actions must be brought within two years of the date of the injury.

Make sure you have reached MMI (maximum medical improvement) before settling on the personal injury portion of this claim.

Seems to me that you still have time (about 1 1/2 years) based on your post. There is still time for latent injuries to present themselves.

Once you settle, sign, and cash that check...it's over. You can't go back and ask for more. Better to be safe than sorry. You never want to look yourself in the mirror and say: I would have...I could have...I should have. :)

nie_mt

The person that I talked to from their insurance said he had commercial and it was real high. I think maybe 500k/1mil or 1mil/1.5mil are his liabilities.

I seriously think that I should hire another attorney because I don't know about you but I feel I deserve double for it being a hit and run and how I had to chase the guy.

Can't you reach MMI and still have the possibility of your injuries creaping back up on you? I know I will be feeling this for years to come and when I am elderly.

Thanks for your input.

nie_mt said:
The person that I talked to from their insurance said he had commercial and it was real high. I think maybe 500k/1mil or 1mil/1.5mil are his liabilities.

I seriously think that I should hire another attorney because I don't know about you but I feel I deserve double for it being a hit and run and how I had to chase the guy.

Can't you reach MMI and still have the possibility of your injuries creaping back up on you? I know I will be feeling this for years to come and when I am elderly.

Thanks for your input.
Sounds like you need another attorney. It shouldn't be too difficult for you to find one willing to jump on a case like this.

Durwood

I'm curious how much work you missed if any. I'm asking because i have somewhat a similiar situation (will know tomm.)with the therapy.

Thanks
Dur

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">