• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear Ended Insurance Claim Denied Please Help me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Liskavitch

What is the name of your state?California
I am hoping and praying that some good hearted person out there can offer me some advise on what I should do, I'm afraid the statue of limitations is going to get me. It all happened on 4/22/04. I was driving with Two friends on Interstate I280 when suddenly there was a very, very heavy downpour that the windshield wipers could not begin to keep up with. I reduced my speed as weather conditions intensified due to lack of visibility and water building up on the lanes. We were nearing downtown San Jose when suddenly I see what appears to be a pile up happening in front of me. I slammed on my breaks to slow down, (remember I was going a safe speed) and did not hit any vehicles scattered across the road. Suddenly I hear squeeling breaks and immediately looked up in my rear view mirror and saw a small white car trying to miss hitting my car but slammed into my hatchback rear end at an angle. The impact pushed my car forward and then the vehicle whom hit my car was struck by another vehicle (well after our impact). I was very frightened and was cautiously trying to move my vehicle to the side of the freeway. Upon stopping there were Two other vehicles that had hit each other but had nothing to do with our incident. I have never been in an accident and always was told that a rear-end accident is always the person following too closely behind you. A police officer did stop and look at our drivers license, etc. and asked me if I needed a report. Not knowing what I know now, I asked the officer if I should get one since the guy addmittingly hit me. The officer replied that usually when nobody is injured that it really is not necessary. This was a gentleman in a hurry in a Company vehicle that hit me. He had a young boy who's head cracked the windshield quite seriously upon impact with my car. I have limited coverage as my car is an older vehicle but a Toyota Celica that still ran quite well. When I contacted his carrier, Progressive, he said that he would investigate and get back with me. He gave me the run around while I'm forced to rent a car just to get to work. Finally, he gets back with me to inform me that he has denied my claim because his findings reinforce what the other driver stated to him, that he was pushed into me from the other vehicle which never stopped. PLEASE HELP THIS IS NOT TRUE. I have had to go to the ER room on a couple of occaions due to stiffness, and SEVERE HEADACHES. I started Physical Therapy but was forced to stop due to transpertation trouble, and money issues. I did talk with an attorney whom I told the facts of my case and he said he usually would not take the case just for my car, but since I'm injured he would represent me. He knew what Progressive had denied me for, and he indicated that what they were saying did not matter when we got to court. When I had not heard anything from him besides a letter sent to me in apx. 3 months I finally couldn't stand it and called him. I was horrified as he did not know who I was when I gave him my name. Obviously, he had not even looked at my case. He then said he would give me a call back tomorrow and this is when he told me that he has decided he could not take my case. This devistated me, please help me. I can't see how this person can be traveling too fast for conditions, wipe my car out, and not be held accountable for his actions. Do I go to Small Claims court after the driver? Or the Driver's Company whom he was neglegently driving a company vehicle. I am without a vehicle now and really can not afford to purchase a new one and would be forever gratefull if anyone could help steer me in the right direction.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

In the case of vehicular accidents, California has two Statutes of Limitations:

a. Two years from the date of the accident to claim Personal Injuries.

b. Three years from the date of the accident to claim Property Damages.

IAAL

Lynx 36

The reason the atty did not take your case as there is no money in it. Unfortunately when you stopped treatment it hurts your inj claim. Now f/ the Celica. Have you contacted the insurance company and/or driver of the 3rd car? Has his insurance co accepted liability? The driver of the 3rd car is key. I would sue the person who r/e you if the other insurance company doesn't accept liability and if they do let them handle it. Even if Progressive should, who cares as long as you get your car fixed. Also ask family or close friends if they could recommend a decent, reputable atty f/ your injuries if you want to pursue that.

Tigershark

My thoughts on this....

You should always...and I mean ALWAYS get a report from the police department. Even if you just want them to pay your medical bills, you should ALWAYS get a report from the police. I dunno, but you might have to wrap this up as a lessoned learned.

Liskavitch

Lynx 36 said:
The reason the atty did not take your case as there is no money in it. Unfortunately when you stopped treatment it hurts your inj claim. Now f/ the Celica. Have you contacted the insurance company and/or driver of the 3rd car? Has his insurance co accepted liability? The driver of the 3rd car is key. I would sue the person who r/e you if the other insurance company doesn't accept liability and if they do let them handle it. Even if Progressive should, who cares as long as you get your car fixed. Also ask family or close friends if they could recommend a decent, reputable atty f/ your injuries if you want to pursue that.
Thank you for the reply. The driver of the 3rd car never stopped so nobody knows who he is. Progressive is the carrier of the guy that hit me. They denied my claim saying that it was the other guys fault his driver was forced into me.
This is not true however, the damage to my vehicle is kind of to the side of back bumber area where he had slammed on his breaks trying to swerve to miss me. I really do not know many folks around this area for a referral, I was wondering about taking it to small claims court.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer me.

Liskavitch

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

In the case of vehicular accidents, California has two Statutes of Limitations:

a. Two years from the date of the accident to claim Personal Injuries.

b. Three years from the date of the accident to claim Property Damages.

IAAL
Thank you very much for responding to me.

Liskavitch

Tigershark said:
You should always...and I mean ALWAYS get a report from the police department. Even if you just want them to pay your medical bills, you should ALWAYS get a report from the police. I dunno, but you might have to wrap this up as a lessoned learned.
Thank you for the reply. However, this is quite an expensive lesson to learn that I can not afford. I do not understand how somebody can not be compensated when they were doing everything the law states, and the other driver was not.
I must do something, do you know anything about small claims court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">