• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear Ended - Insurance Discrepancy! HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strictdaddy

What is the name of your state? New York

My Friend and I are under the same insurance, he is the master policy holder and on the policy, it states that he is the registered owner of my car and I am the co-owner. But on my registration, it only states that I am the owner.

I recently got into an accident and the other party admitted fault and they will have and adjuster come to my home to check out the damages. My question is that, since my registration does not have my friends name on it, can this discrepancy give the insurance company an excuse not to pay for the damages to the car?

And this wouldn't be insurance fraud right, since the DMV guy said it was fine to just put my name when we initially wanted to put both are names on the registration.

Thank you for your help and informational input.

Dan

strictdaddy

thank you.

yes, both our names are on the insurance but only my name is on the car and the insurance states that both our names are on the car which is not true, and advise me to pick up my own policy if my name is the only registrant. hope this thing blows over quickly.

alnorth

I think you should be fine, because your insurance company was treated fairly. You told them you both would drive, and you better believe they gave you a higher rate for it.

Where people usually get in trouble is when they DONT tell their insurance company everything regarding the risk exposure. If your friend would have told the insurance company that he was the only driver, then you'd be in trouble since the company could fairly say "we would have charged more (or possibly rejected the policy if legal) if we knew that, so no thanks, we arent paying."

efflandt

Whose name(s) are on the title? That should be what matters for who the insurance check is made out to for property damage. Registration does not necessarily fully reflect ownership (ie, does not show lienholders, owner of lease vehicle, etc.).

For example our company vehicles are registered to local offices, but are owned by our factory in California. Although, for one vehicle we were not getting renewal notices because we eventually discovered they were being mailed to Newport Beach, IL (which does not exist). At one time we had a separate division that leased the vehicles to our company, and that was not reflected on registration.

strictdaddy

my name is on the title and registration. His name is on the master policy as the master policy holder and owner of the vehicle on the policy with me being co-owner, driver #2. Thanks I really appreciate your help. But As to the guy hitting me and I am going through his policy, is it true that this wouldn't really matter? And they will be making the check out to me, the registration owner, and the title holder?

alnorth

For some reason I thought the accident was your fault.

If its his fault and he's got insurance thats willing to pay out, your own policy is irrelevant. Your own insurance company would only come into it if the at-fault driver's insurance company decides to be difficult, and you have full coverage instead of just liability.

If the other driver's insurance pays, then whats written on your policy is irrelevant, you own the car, the money goes straight to you.

If you have full coverage and make a claim on your own insurance, then I'm not sure what would happen, you own the car, but the policy was written to reflect that you were co-owners with him as the primary named insured. Whether the money would go to him, you, or to both of you depends on whats written on the policy.

Last edited:

strictdaddy

o i see, well, both myself and the other driver have geico, we're going through his policy instead of mine, thats what i expected, all the things in my policy is irrelevant now since we're going through his policy. i only have liability and he only have liability but he already admitted fault and is going to pay through his policy. Thanks for all the help guys, I can slepp easy now.

alnorth

i only have liability and he only have liability but he already admitted fault and is going to pay through his policy.
If you only have liability, your not getting a dime from your own insurance. If geico decides not to pay for whatever reason, your only recourse would be to sue the other driver, and let him worry about getting his insurance to pay you if you win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">