• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear ended, settlement starting point...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LauraT28

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Alaska

As a former paralegal, I would like to avoid hiring an attorney (or maybe just hire one to consult with hourly) if I feel the insurance adjuster is treating me fairly. I felt the atty I worked for fabricated "costs", and didn't give the client there fair settlement all the time, so I'm leary of this, and would prefer to try and settle it on my own.

12/23/2003 Was rear ended in my vehicle, as a passenger, while sitting at a stop light. Other driver was going approx 30mph at impact. Other driver was cited with driving to fast for conditions. Immediate pain in neck and head, and I was very dazed after impact with numbness and "jello" feeling of arms. Transported to ER via ambulance, xrays and revealed nothing broken. Sent home with valium and vicodin, diag. cervical strain. I have no preexisting conditions. That evening, began throwing up, was told to come back to ER if vomiting continued which it did. Diag. Concussion. Obviously missed work the 23rd & 24th. 25th, flew out of state for visitation with my two minor children, whom I only get to see for extended periods of time twice a year. Needless to say, my time with them was less than wonderful, as the full impact of the accident was still developing and I was in pain and on medication the entire time. Flew home the 31st, plane ride there and back was painful. Returned to ER on the 9th. Diag "benign positional vertigo". Continued headaches and dizzyness after the accident that did not improve. I still continue to have a headache in some form (mildly annoying to very painful) everyday. Everyday, pain in neck, midback, left rib which wraps around to front with breath, and lower left back, and left hip pain. Degree/position of pain seems to migrate everyday. I'm 33, and never had problems with this before the accident. I have begun seeing a chiropractor, adjustments seem to help in the short term, but muslce spasms continue and tend to pull adjustments out. I have missed some work due to discomfort and leaving for appointments. I'm obviously keeping a daily journal of pain and work missed etc. I've only spoken to my insurance adjuster (State Farm) breifly and was given the information for the other parties insurance adjuster (Allstate), and have spoken to the other parties adjuster once on the phone, very briefly and no details given to him, he did tell me his party was acceping full responsibility for accident, and I chose a body shop and had estimate done ($800), other parties insurance will pay and provide rental car. They've sent me medical records release papers twice which I will not sign... even MY insurances medical release forms allow exchange of information with other insurance company in small print so I haven't signed that either. I want to give it a couple of weeks and see where I stand. I'm still not "feeling right" as far as my head goes, I've had difficulty sleeping, been overly grouchy and short tempered, and I'm wondering if this isn't some sort of lasting effect from the concussion and if I should have it evaluated more closely. I've had two CAT scans through the ER with no findings. My medical bills to date are close to $3000, to be covered by other parties insurance. I have no medical insurance other than my car medical. I'm estimating at least a few more weeks of treatment for my neck/back/ribs/hip, via the chiropractor and MD if necessary. I guess my question would be, based on my information here, what would my multiplier be? 1) closed head injury, possible lasting effects 2) medical expenses 3) car repair expenses 4) lost wages 5) diminished visitation with my children due to injuries 6)pain and suffering.

Thanks so much for your responses. And believe me, if I feel I'm getting poor response from the adjuster, I'll retain an attorney the next day.

O

olivia35

Texas
My daughter is in much the same situation as you........low impact rear ended (Dec 11 03 )etc. But she was unconscious for a few min, and dazed for a good three days after that, barley remembers them at all. Anyway we are much in the same boat as you.(pain) She has been diagnosed with PCS and It sounds that you do as well. She is also suffering some kind of neurological problem. Her leg and arm keeps twitching so she will be followed up with an MRI here shortly. Wonder myself what will happen from here on out. My advice would be don't sign anything, keep a journal and a folder with all your med record, bills etc....
You can write a demand letter and state that all futer bills be covered as well. I guess an average$$$ would be total all bills multiply by three that would be the High end$$ X 2 would be mid and X 1 the low end$$$
So that way you can at least gauge if they are trying to low ball you. what to do about future expenses and how to put that in the demand letter, I don't have a clue!!! I'd like to know that as well. I think you have at least 2 yrs to file, so keep all your papers!!!! & don't let the ADJ tell you they will not pay for diagnostic test. They will need to pay those as well as treatments that are due to the accident. If I get any Info from the military legal I'll pass it along.
~Olivia~

NYMinute

Almost exact thing happened to me in October. I got full payment of my lost wages, med bills, etc....so I was happy. I"m still very uncomfortable sometimes but I'll live and that's what matters

O

olivia35

not the only one !!!

Glad to see on a previous post, your not the only one having had a rude convo with JETTX!!!! He's got a Napolean complex ( must have a small dick as well) or his wife has him on a choker collar. LOL!! Thats why he's sooooo busy being so vulgar to women.
he's so well spoken isn't he????...calling me crazy ass bitch and so on. This all shows his level of education!!!!
I guess we should be scared, messing with the brains behind those lame ass quotes... OOOHH!!!! aren't you afrraid?? Probable couldn't even handle the military(pansy ass) He's got a real big mouth behind this site but nothing to back it up. so yep, get used to some of the rudest *******s around. Sad to say that the site lets him get away with it. He must suck a mean dick to get away with what he does on this site. Anyway glad to hear it worked out for you. I'm still hanging in there with my daughter and I'm sure it will all work out for us as well.

Ps: Did get some great advice from a few sociable people on here.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">