• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear-ended someone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nmekhel

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hello,
Last Thursday, I rear ended someone in DC (I have a Maryland license). The impact was very light and there were no apparent damages to either car (nor were there any injuries). We exchanged names and phone numbers. I get a call from the guy today saying that he got an estimate on the car and it'll cost $900! This is very ridiculous since there were damages. He does not have my insurance information. The car is not mine but I am insured on it. What can I do? What would happen if I refuse to pay this $900 since he has no proof that it was me that did whatever damage to the car he's claiming. He has an '84 Benz so of course there were some scratches or whatever already. Of course I would hate to claim this on the insurance since it will raise it plus I'd have to pay the $500 deductible. What can he do legally since there is no police report or proof that I indeed did the damage.
Thank you,
Yasmin

I

Iroc24

I don't know what legal rights you/he might have in this case. But I suggest that in the future you keep a desposable camera in your glove compartment. That's what my family does in all of our cars. That way, in an event like this, you can take pictures of both cars, so he can't later on blame you for something else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">