• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear ended, title not completely in my name.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaybeezi

What is the name of your state? California

I was rear ended sitting at a stop light. It was completely the other guys fault.

I have been given a settlement amount for my 'total loss' vehicle. However they only gave me 80% and are waiting for me to send in the unsigned title, which I do not have.

I bought the car from my sister, registered it a couple of months later, and was rear ended about 2 weeks later.. The car was not smogged yet, so it was not completely transfered into my name. I still have the title with my sister's name on it, that I have already signed.

They already gave me 80%, and I was wondering what will happen when they find out about the title. If it even matters at all. Will they not give me the other 20%, will they try to get the 80% back.. and/or will they not give me the rest of my (yet to be determined) personal injury settlement?

Thank you.

jaybeezi

Yeah, the title is signed over to me, it's in limbo at the DMV. I started the process, but didn't finish it (smog certification).

ecmst12

If the title is signed over to you, I don't think it will be a major issue. But I guess you'll find out!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">