• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rear-ended; totaled; 4 vehicles involved; At-fault party no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mallards

What is the name of your state? AZ

I was rear-ended at a dead stop in heavy traffic at about 40 MPH. I was slammed into the truck in front of me and then them into the car in front of them. 4 cars in total; 3 had to be towed away.

I was immobilized and taken to the hospital via ambulance to sew up my leg and check the large lump and abrasion on my head.

The At-fault party has no insurance. 19 YO girl living near ASU with 3 other roommates. (no blood in this turnip).

My UM coverage paid $18,000 to total my vehicle. I have $25k per person / $50k per accident UM coverage.

My question is ... if my insurance has already paid $18k, does this only leave $7k for the medical bills and pain and suffering? I am going to a Chiro and am concerned that if I spend the remaining $7k, there will be nothing left for the compensation of my loss of work, co-pays for Rx, and just the pain and suffering that I have been through.

If I seek legal advice, am I burring up more of the remaining $7k?

Also, I tend to have poor healing and have wounds (from other injuries) that have never healed for several years. What if there are long term effects to the lacerations, etc?

Thanks !

Unsure

Property damage and bodily injury are filed separately. From your post it appears that the 50k is for your property damage (18k for the car) and 25k is for bodily injury. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

R

Raisinette

Property damage would be handled under UMPD coverage. UM coverage applies to injury claims. Mallards, get your insurance coverage sheet. What are your coverages here? Look at them for both UM & UMPD. It appears that 25/50 is your UM coverage: 25K max per PERSON, 50K max per accident. If you were the only one injured, your maximum coverage for personal injury would be 25K.

If this is so, it is this amount that would be apportioned between medical bills, wages, "pain & suffering" and attorney fees (which I'm not sure you don't need, though with injuries that might continue indefinitely you are not working with unlimited funds, and attorneys cost at least a third of it).

Who's Liable?

You can sue the girl for unpaid damages... Actively pursue it so she knows the next time she should be insured... Also, get un-insured coverage for your vehicle...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">