• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear-ended when making U-turn in Maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tribute2006

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I was driving on a 2 lane road when I saw the road was blocked by a police car in front of me. I slowed down and started making a U-turn. Because the road wasn't wide enough for me to finish a U-turn in a single maneuver, I backed up and got rear-ended by the second car making U-turn after me. I wasn't sure if she was also moving at that time. We exchanged our insurance information and called the police. After half an hour a fire truck came over and asked us to move our vehicles to the side of the street. The other car left right before the police officer came eventually. So the officer was not able to interview the other driver.

I called my insurance company the second day and thought it should be the other driver's fault because she was too close to me when we were both making U-turns. However the other driver only mentioned I was backing when my insurance company called her and refused to say it's her fault. I went to a body shop this afternoon, the lady there convinced me it's the other driver's fault no matter if I was backing or not because she should wait until I finished my U-turn and then start making her own. But my insurance company seems reluctant to be involved. Now I need some help on this case to make sure if there could be any of my fault in the worst scenario. Do you think I should call the other driver's insurance company directly to get compensated?

Thanks in advance.

sukharev

My guess is that it all depends on whether the other car was moving. If not, then you are 100% at fault. If yes, then it's more like 50%. But, in no case, are you completely innocent.

teflon_jones

It's a little difficult to understand how two cars can be making a U turn at the same time in the same area of a 2 lane road such that one rear ends the other. :confused:

But based on your post, you and the other driver are both equally at fault.

tribute2006

Thank you guys.

The other car started U-turn after me. There was a long line of cars waiting to make U-turns because the road was blocked by a police car in front of us. I heard the other car should wait until I finished my U-turn and then start turning. Otherwise it would be her fault no matter if I was backing or if she was moving. I think she approached too close. Without backing up a little bit, I couldn't even move forward. Now I just don't know whether the theory I heard is true or not. If that's the case, I should be inocent no matter what.

Thanks again.

teflon_jones

If both of you were moving, then it's 50/50 fault. It doesn't matter if the other driver did something stupid and pulled into an area that prevented you from turning around. You should have been watching where you were going.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">