• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear ended, wondering what my settlement should be

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaybeezi

What is the name of your state? California

I was rear ended in March of this year, sitting at a stop light when someone going 25 mph 'didn't see me' and crashed into me totaling my car.

They paid for a rental car for me, and gave me a check for the total loss (vehicle).

But, I missed 2 weeks of work.

The 2 weeks I missed was the 2nd half of 4 weeks of training for a new job, with about 14 other new employees. Missing this time was critical, as instructors were here from out of the state for a limited amount of time. It has affected my work quality, and also the way my employers view me. My boss later told me that his boss wanted him to fire me if I did not show up after the 1st week (which he did not do). I was ahead of a lot of my co-workers, and missing that time had let them all get ahead of me.

I don't know how this is quantified... Or if I can even convince the adjuster of this without a lawyer.

I have about $600 in ER bills, and $3,107 in Chiropractor bills over the last 3 months.

I make $12 an hour, and work 40 hours a week.

I have read about the BASE Formula, is this true/usefull? Can I just follow the steps and get close to that amount? If so, how do I quantify ($) the issues with my job.

Thank you.

jaybeezi

Also, I was told I should try to get compensation for future chiropractic care, as my neck still hurts sometimes, and will most likely hurt more later on.

and also a gym membership, or gym equipment for rehabilitation purposes, to strengthen my neck and back.

TomD1974

You will be able to get out-of-pocket expenses, lost wages, and a token amount for pain and suffering from an adjuster fairly easily. Beyond that, you will probably need to apply a lot of pressure, and for that you'll need legal help. You'll also wait a much longer time for a settlement.

I know it doesn't seem fair, but that is the unfortunate fact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">