• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear window shatters in brand new car 3 days after purchase for no reason

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rbscott

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I purchase a brand new vehicle and I had the car for two days when I brought it to the dealership to have the radio replaced, wheel locks put on and the windows tinted. I dropped the car off in the morning before going to work and picked it up after work. The next day while the car sat in the parking lot across the street from my building I received a call from security that my rear window had shattered. The police were called out and they said the car was not vandilized and it was obvious that it wasn't, but the window was shattered in a million pieces and the only thing holding the glass together was the tint. I took the car back to the dealership thinking they would replace the window since I only had the car for three days and since the window was obviously defective, but they would not replace it. I had to have the window replaced myself. Isn't the dealership responsible for the replacement of my rear window? Please help!!

racer72

Window glass is rarely covered under a vehicle's warranty. That is why folks have comprehensive insurance.

R

rbscott

It was obvious

Considering I called the police and had a police report filled out and the officer told me that it was not vandalizm, that leads me to believe that there was no criminal mischief involved. After looking at the window you could tell that no one had hit it to make it shatter the way it did. There were no marks or signs that the window had been hit at all, but it was shattered none the less. Usually if a window is hit you will see a definite point of contact and there was none. The parking lot has a security officer in it at all times and the security officer also stated that no one was in the parking lot that was not supposed to be there. I beleive as well as the officer that the window was defective and with the heat that we had that day it was just too much for the window to handle. Also, the gentleman who replaced my window, who has been replacing windows for approximately 17 years, told me that since the window is made of tempered glass, if it has a defect it can shatter very easily in the heat, especially with a heat index of about 105.

D

dlplaw

Windows can shatter for a lot of reasons. Happened to me also , but after 2 years , so it was not covered.

One cold morning when I closed the back door in the morning after keeping by bag in , the windows shattered just like that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">