• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rearend collision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NotGood

What is the name of your state? Illinois

recently i was involved in a rearend collision where it was raining and a vehicle in front of me stoped and put her car in reverse to take a parking space i locked up the breaks and swearved to avoid her but my front quaterpanel hit her back bumper that was over a month and half ago the vehicle i was driving was not insured i was issued a failure to reduce speed ticket which regretabley i paid a week ago. today 12/23/03 i recieved a letter for a law office apperently the girl i hit her father is a lawyer well he is comming after my parents for 1200$ which by the way is alot of money for the damage that was done to her car ( it was a fist size dent in the rear bumper of a jeep wrangler ) they also only gave us 6 days to give them a casiers check for 1200$ or they are going to take us to court and sue us for the damage to the car and medical bills that resulted from me reagravating a pre-existing injury stating that they arnt going to get the insurance company involved and just come after us instead my questions are 1 is she at fault at all 2 does it seem odd that they are electing to leave the insurance company out of all this 3 and this is an opinion if your a lawyer and your daughter is in an accident and apperently hurt wouldnt you get the med bills paid for as well finally 4 does this sound like its a scam to get money out of my parents thanks in advance PFC Femiano

N

NotGood

there wernt any however she stated in the police report that she was in reverse

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

NotGood said:
there wernt any however she stated in the police report that she was in reverse

My response:

Okay, that's a good thing. However, that will only mean that you have an excuse for reducing her damages because she was likewise negligent. However, that fact alone doesn't exonerate you from your own negligence. You shouldn't have been so close to her.

So, you're going to be "tagged" for your comparative negligence. You'll need a judge to tell you how much however.

Next time, don't drive without insurance.

IAAL

N

NotGood

one more question does anyone know if there is a grace period for insurance because my insurance expried that day it was good the day befor but wasnt renewed for some reason ( not my car nor my insurance)

C

CarAccidentForu

Good News, if you had insurance the day prior to your accident, that is very good news. How long have you had it for. If you had it for 10 years and paid it on time, than the check got lost in the mail, or you forgot to pay it, the judge may be on your side and assume that you had insurance.

You were moving and the other vehicle was backing up, you both are at fault.

6 days to pay is crazy, what ever lawyer daddy.

Re agrevated a previous injury, maybe, maybe not... ok she reagrevated it, so far it means nothing, she needs to go to the doctor, present you with medical bills, perhaps a written statement saying this particular accident caused by one vehicle backing up while another one was breaking did indeed re-agrevate these symptoms, blah blah blah

$1,200 for repair sounds about right, but you can ask them to prove it with 3 estimates from 3 different body shops, you could also call a jeep dealer and ask how much a brand new bumper costs and how much it would be to have it installed, then when they call you back for the money say, well a brand new bumper runs $150 and $50 to have it installed by a certified Jeep professional so how about I shoot you $200 and you signed the accompanying letter saying that we settled this accident, claim, incident, call it what you will, its over final, done with in FULL.

Just trying to help, it sounds a bit fishy,

Greg

Last edited:

HomeGuru

CarAccidentForu said:
Good News, if you had insurance the day prior to your accident, that is very good news. How long have you had it for. If you had it for 10 years and paid it on time, than the check got lost in the mail, or you forgot to pay it, the judge may be on your side and assume that you had insurance.

You were moving and the other vehicle was backing up, you both are at fault.

6 days to pay is crazy, what ever lawyer daddy.

Re agrevated a previous injury, maybe, maybe not... ok she reagrevated it, so far it means nothing, she needs to go to the doctor, present you with medical bills, perhaps a written statement saying this particular accident caused by one vehicle backing up while another one was breaking did indeed re-agrevate these symptoms, blah blah blah

$1,200 for repair sounds about right, but you can ask them to prove it with 3 estimates from 3 different body shops, you could also call a jeep dealer and ask how much a brand new bumper costs and how much it would be to have it installed, then when they call you back for the money say, well a brand new bumper runs $150 and $50 to have it installed by a certified Jeep professional so how about I shoot you $200 and you signed the accompanying letter saying that we settled this accident, claim, incident, call it what you will, its over final, done with in FULL.

Just trying to help, it sounds a bit fishy,

Greg

you can find more help at www.caraccidnetforum.com
**A: you spelled your website address wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">