• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this reasonable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rane007

I was involved in a car wreck in February 2000 with an uninsured motorist. I live in Kansas. I retained a personal injury lawyer who explained that I had a 4,500/100,000 policy. My car was totalled, I broke my collarbone, my knee, my fibula, and pulled the pcl in my right leg loose. None of this required surgery, just a brace that I must wear the rest of my working life. I work at a job that requires I do alot of walking and I have pain all the time in my right leg. My attorney has now advised me that I can reasonably only expect 9,200 in my pocket and has advised me to take it. This would be what I would get after the insurance company gets its 9,000 for medical and pip and after my attorney gets his cut. I am bewildered by this. Is my injuries and pain and suffering only worth 9,200? I feel like my attorney just wants to be done with this case and isnt really looking out for my interest. Would appreciate any advice. Thankyou

J

jewellsey

Rane....geez I am not an attorney, however, my daughter was recently involved in an accident, hit head on by a drunk driver who was also uninsured. She was not severely injured, just neck sprain/strain. The car sustained $7,000 worth of damage and her PIP was only $400. Our insurance settled it with her for $1,500. As the other motorist was a drunk with nothing, we decided it was not worth it for us to go after him and we just settled. The fact that he is only offering $9,000 is awful. How much time did you miss from work? Were you paid for your time off? Have you thought of getting a second opinion. This seems unfair to me.

R

Rane007

I missed 3 months of work, and spent the next month working only part-time. The pip portion of my insurance paid me 2/3 of my normal wage, this is the part the insurance company wants back out of the settlement. I have thought about a second opinion, but I dont know if I am being unreasonable or not (as my attorney intimates) Perhaps the special circumstance of the other party being uninsured and no real way to touch him. All I really know is I still owe medical bills to the brace company and the doctors office that I am paying on. My lawyer told me to pick the least amount I would settle for between 9 thou and 27 thou so in other words I guess policy limits are out as far as he is concerned. This attorney only handles car wrecks and he's got a bunch of them. He sent me back to the doctor to see if surgery was an answer but my doctor says surgery is not the answer for me, in the long run my knee would be more arthritic and so my attorney now figures there isnt any money to be made I guess

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">